The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my first post.

It's been 20 years since my last aquarium setup which ended up an eco disaster due to lack of maintenance. I promised myself I would not get another tank unless I had it setup correctly for me ie: a sump with with plumbing to the house water system ( portable and waste water lines). No more 5 gallon buckets for water changes.

Anyways, I plan on getting a 75 gallon tank for a large school of tiger barbs and plants. I estimate it will be 2-3 months before I ready to plant the tank.

To reduce cost on buying live plants, I was think about setting up a 20 gallon tank with potting soil to propagate carpeting type plants. Would they grow much in 2-3 months or am I just wasting my time? Would I need a filter or heater?

Thanks so much!

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much. I just watched a dry start video on the Water Box youtube channel (he is great), that's my answer.

I am going for a mangrove swamp theme, I been collecting dead branches from the woods behind my house for the roots. Java moss is my answer, just chop it up and paint it on. I will buy some Java moss locally this weekend and 'plant' it in a container for a couple months as I build my setup. The branches need a month of prep time (soaking and boiling).

I may be over estimating the cost of carpeting type plants, some on the plants from Jacob's Aquarium contain multiple stems. I've been watching too many high end setup on youtube with planting 100,s of plants at $5.99/each, not in my budget.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.