The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 36” Finnex planted plus 24/7 ALC that fits perfectly across two planted dart frog vivariums (exact same lighting requirements as freshwater planted tanks). I love being able to adjust the color and the fact that the red is 660 but the 24hr ramping program is more than disappointing. I’m seriously considering returning this light and finding something better or building from scratch.
I’d appreciate suggestions on a better light or a controller for a DIY light that I can program to gradually (at least more gradually than the Fennex which only does 3 hour blocks) ramp up and down as well as shifting colors throughout a gradual sunrise, midday and sunset.
Building my own custom light sounds awesome but only if I knew for sure that I could control the light much better than this one. Finding something that’s plug and play would be even better if not ridiculously priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS I really like being able to increase the green and red diodes specifically.
So the Fluval plant 3.0 doesn’t cut it.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
PS I really like being able to increase the green and red diodes specifically.
So the Fluval plant 3.0 doesn’t cut it.

2 ai prime freshwaters checks most of the boxes except price.
chihiros and a few other rgb lights also do.

Not sure of exactly their programming works though.

ai prime and fluval have about the best w/ the fluval having mixed channels that wouldn't quite meet your criteria as you noted.
NOT all inclusive list just top of my head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my AI prime lights. They are pricey. The programming is actually pretty easy and very customizable. They don't lose track of time if the power goes out.

I can run a high tech/high light tank, except have the lights 'on' for most of the day, just set to very low light. I've got it set so its low light with a 4-5 hour "blast" during the day when it gets to high-light levels. It's working well so far. The ability to fiddle with the programming so easily really helped dial it in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone care to share their experience with a controller and DIY light their happy with?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts