The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pH is around 7.6 out of the tap and want to have lower pH water available for inverts and future discus. I just received the typhoon III reverse osmosis. Water out of the unit has a pH around 6.5, I have left it sit in a bucket over night and retested it at 6.5 the next day. When I put the water in my 10 gallon tank with eco complete the pH goes to 7.8 with in 24 hours. Is this normal for eco complete or RO water?

Also can anyone tell me where you buy ADA aqua soil? Everyone talks about how wonderful it is but I can't find a place to buy it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere that there were some problems with a bad batch of eco complete. I got mine a few weeks ago from Drs F&S. It has bright white chunks throughout it. Should they be there or is this what people are calling a bad batch? They are the size of the largest black particles and they are pure white. Would this cause a rise in pH?

I don't need to lower my pH, I accomplished this with RO. But I can't figure out why it going back up in this particular tank. The only thing in there besides the substrate is a HOB filter (no additives), stealth heater and peacock moss.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's the Eco

You can put some in a cup with RO water and watch your pH rise back up to 7.8+ within a day or so. My replacement bags did not do this though even though they had just as many white pieces.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I was wandering if there is any other way to keep the ph up in a planted tank other than adding ph 7.0 buffer every other day? Or am I doing something wrong? The only thing I could think of is not enough light. Right now I am getting about 2.3 watts a gallon.

55g tank, 300 watt hydor heater, 2- xp3's, milwaukee ph monitor, 3x c****ife turbo twist uv, 130 watt power compact, c****ife timers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Preston

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So is it a crap shoot with eco complete as to whether or not it will raise the pH? I am looking for a substrate for shrimp that want a lower pH. I bought a RO unit to accomplish this only to have the substrate up it again. I bought some substrate from aquriumplants.com for my 30 gallon and it lowered my tap water pH from 7.6 to 5. It is a planted tank with swordtails and I want the pH at 7.4-7.6. So I used plain gravel instead. Then I bought eco complete for my 10 gallons for shrimp tanks it raised my perfect 6.5 water to over 7.8. I am about to give up and just go buy clown puke gravel from Walmart. Do all plant substrates affect pH one way or another?

Very, very frustrated.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Nope. I've never had a problem with Flourite. And Eco-Complete used to work quite well. But that has changed.

How about natural coarse sand?

·
Registered
169 Posts
What is your KH in the 10g that the pH has risen on? Are you using 100% RO water or are you mixing it? If the water already has buffer in it (KH) and you are mixing in RO, it will take a long time to get rid of the buffer and then for your pH to subsequently lower.

One way to test, put some of the substrate in a bucket with pure RO water, KH should be 0 to start. After leaving it out overnight test again, if the KH is anything but 0 that's what's causing the pH to rise, carbonates are leaching from it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts