The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay anyone who is familiar with this test may be able to help me out, no matter what time of day or night I test my water with the high range solution the tube turns bright orange - not light brown, not bronze - orange. That says 7.8 on the high range.

The regular range solution is the only one that changes from about 6.8/7.0 to 7.6 (blue).

- Why does the high range never read 7.4 (bronze) if my normal range reads 7.0?

- Should I just use the normal rage pH solution?

- If the range is dark green-blue I am good as long as the high range is orange?

Thanks!

·
Registered
904 Posts
A PH pen has a resolution of .1 or .01. which is better than getting .5 readings of the PH from test kits. Liquid kits are also a bit harder to read the color sometimes.

Even if you purchase a cheap PH pen ($20) as long as you calibrate it before you use it then you should get pretty accurate PH readings.

Liquid PH or titrations kits are the next step if you don't want to use test strips. I abandoned PH liquid kits after I realize that it is impossible to get the readings that I need. I even have a liquid PH test for my expensive photometer but I don't use it. I now always use a PH meter.
@Ben Diss: I will always trust the PH meter vs. a liquid PH kit. Especially if your PH monitor is properly calibrated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.