The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! Got a new 20 gallon tank a week ago. Aqua soil Amazon and a large piece of Congo wood, no rocks. Lights are off, heater on and filtration on. I had a reading of 0.25 nitrites after on the 3rd day, but since then it has been always 0. I live in Portland, OR. The PH of the water out of my faucet is around 6.6. By the time I do water change the day after the PH in the tank it’s below 6. My initial question is, would this low PH prevent nitrifying bacteria from growing?
Thank you

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Hello there! Got a new 20 gallon tank a week ago. Aqua soil Amazon and a large piece of Congo wood, no rocks. Lights are off, heater on and filtration on. I had a reading of 0.25 nitrites after on the 3rd day, but since then it has been always 0. I live in Portland, OR. The PH of the water out of my faucet is around 6.6. By the time I do water change the day after the PH in the tank it’s below 6. My initial question is, would this low PH prevent nitrifying bacteria from growing?
Thank you
edit:
No, people commonly have tanks with pH of 5.

1 week is not very long. I assume you have ammonia readings? Typically a tank cycles in 3 to 6 weeks. You might be able to speed that up using bottled bacteria.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have read that the cycle can slow or stop if pH drops below 7, but I'm not sure how certain that is.

One week isn't a long time so I'd give it more time.

What did you use to start the cycle? Ammonia? Bottled bacteria? Fish food?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Are you missing some punctuation, @minorhero? Because it reads as if no one has pH of 5. (just making sure)
Heh, yeah there needed to be a comma there ;P fixed.

I have read that the cycle can slow or stop if pH drops below 7, but I'm not sure how certain that is.

One week isn't a long time so I'd give it more time.

What did you use to start the cycle? Ammonia? Bottled bacteria? Fish food?
I'm not sure if anyone has done any good scientific studies on the propagation of nitrifying bacteria at various ph levels. What I can say for sure is that a tank can definitely cycle at a ph of 5.

Based on your prior post my understanding is that you are using ada amazonia aquasoil? If so your tank will have plenty of ammonia in your water. You should definitely be testing for that btw as this will tell you when your cycle finishes. So that being the case you can just wait, 3-6 weeks and it should be done. It might be possible to speed this up with bottled bacteria (mixed results there honestly). So it just depends on how much of a rush you are in. Nothing wrong with being in a rush mind you. I commonly use tetra safe start and recently used microbe-lift on a tank. Other people prefer fritz products.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts