The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seam to find a on-line source for finding NON-WILD caught Blue Tetras. Please help!!! :help:

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
azgardens is good if you order enough to make their ripoff $40 shipping worthwhile. don't be surprised if your fish are somewhat juvenile, but they come to you very healthy despite azgardens lame packaging (regular bags, crumpled newspaper, cardboard box). they have great plants too, and many XL grown plant deals, so look around the sight for a while and see what else you can use to build up a minimum $35 order. they are hard to get on the phone or email, but they will replace anything DOA for free. note that they only ship fish on Monday/Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Azgardens is pretty much the only place to get them online. I hve some in my 29gal. and it took forever to find them. I eventually just ask my local fish store and they ended up being able to get them the week after I asked, so you never know try asking your lfs. Cuts out that nasty shipping!:drool:

·
Registered
234 Posts
yes another great example of how canada is better then the states for fish. at work we get them in to often .

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
You can try petsmart if you want a local source (if you have one nearby). The one here has them all the time.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
they are 3.29 at my lfs and i wouldn't mind grabbing some and shipping them to you usps express or priority w/ heat pack if needed and in breather bags. whatever you think.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is.
you get the same blue and more
with any $2 cardinal tetra.

knuggs; do they always show off blue?
or only at certain angles and lighting?
my emperor tetras have a blue sheen
under certain lighting conditions,
otherwise they are orange on top.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I love those kerri emperors. I almost traded in some of my other fish to make room so I could get them. I wasn't aware they only colored like that in certain angles and lighting. The blue tetras (Boehlkea Fredcochui) colors depend on good genes and mood. Certains lights can enhance the color, but not any more than any other fish. They really shine when you feed them. It also depends on how many you have (more the merrier).:drool:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I went to ThatPetPlace(.com) in Lancaster on Wednesday to specifically get some Kerri Tetras. They had them as well as Emperor Tetras, but the quality was not very good on either. Fins nipped off, some unbalanced swimmers. I was a bit bummed as they are hard to find around my area and they were only 1.99 each.

I decided not to risk introduction into my tank (no QT tank), so I passed.

(PS -- Spy, your plants are coming around. Slow, but sure)

Ted

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't see what the big deal is.
you get the same blue and more
with any $2 cardinal tetra.

knuggs; do they always show off blue?
or only at certain angles and lighting?
my emperor tetras have a blue sheen
under certain lighting conditions,
otherwise they are orange on top.
I have neon tetras, I just want to add another color of fish that will not chase other fish around. (I wanted some purple passion Danios, but oh well) The emperor tetras, so they are only blue at a cretin angle?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've had blue tetras a few times and yeah, the colors are come and go. Also, they don't seem to like really bright light - when they're out in the high-light areas they appear washed out. I've had them in a really low-light tank and they seemed really happy and really bright blue. they're also the zippy type of tetras and used to hang out mostly in the top half of my tank.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've had blue tetras a few times and yeah, the colors are come and go. Also, they don't seem to like really bright light - when they're out in the high-light areas they appear washed out. I've had them in a really low-light tank and they seemed really happy and really bright blue. they're also the zippy type of tetras and used to hang out mostly in the top half of my tank.
i agree with this totally.....
they aslo kinda remind me of a zebra danio type fish...mine were very active....chasing each other around

1 - 15 of 15 Posts