The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Grrrr! My danios keep on going behind my wire mesh (trying to make a moss wall). They seem to love going behind there until they get stuck! It's very irritating, Does anyone know how to make it so the mesh portrude out more so they won't get stuck when they go behind the mesh? I also heard these guys were easy to breed, D: dang it! So what happens when they start making babies? If I just leave the babies = adult danios in the tank will the other danios eat them when they're babies or eggs? O_O I really don't want to see a population bloom anytime soon!

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
I recently set up a shrimp only tank. Moved a bunch of Java moss into the newly set up tank and within a couple days some baby fish appeared from no where. Within a couple weeks they became Zebra Danios. I have a small population of them in the tank where the moss originated.

Thing is, this couldn't be the only time they laid fertile eggs, it seems to me, so I'm thinking that either the eggs or newly hatched fry in the tank with the danios get eaten by something in there. Could be the danios ate em.

Maybe you'll be safe. :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
What I'd do - is move the mesh further out from the glass and let the moss grow out. Move it back when it is full enough to keep the fish from getting behind it. Zebras are wigglers though and some will still find there way back there. Breed more.

Zebra Danios are incredibly easy to get eggs from. But...
Unless you remove the adults from the spawning tank they will eat the eggs before they can become embryos. Voracious little egg vacuums, they are.

Zebra Danios are used for classroom instruction as the embryos are large enough for kids to see and watch grow. I can't see the little eggs and embryos, but kids with young eyes can. ;-) Google Zebra Danio breeding and check out a few of the articles aimed at teachers and class room spawning. Give it a try. I really enjoy watching the tiny little sparklers grow.

A spawning tank needn't be large. I use a 2.5 gallon with big glass craft "stones" covering the bottom. (I can't find marbles at any of the stores locally)
I don't manage to do *anything* correctly for spawning and still get small batches that I usually forget to feed. <sigh> I'm cleaning my desk so I can put the spawning tank where I can see it every day. When I do remember to feed, I use Golden Pearls, Hikari First Bites, and Ken's Premium Growth meal. Tiny bits of food. The fry find it. Baby Brine shrimp is the suggest food for most fry, but as I said, I don't do much of this correctly and still end up with babies to grow out.

One day I'll start doing things correctly, raise a huge school for my 70 gallon, and then move on to Neon Tetras. Soft warm water is supposed to do the trick for neons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.