The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about after a week i notice that it seems to not push out as much water like there is no power behind it. So i clean out everything and it seems to be fine for a week then does that same thing. Do i really need to clean it out is there something else i can do.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
and how ofter do i need to change the carbon in there.
Never. Since you really don't need to run carbon.

Try making a prefilter for the intake and see if that helps. An Aquaclear sponge will work as will the sponges for the reverse flow kit for a Penguin powerhead.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Activated carbon is not necessary in a planted tank. In fact it can remove some nutrients the plants need.

Take a few minutes and read my Guide.

A prefilter like I describe is simply a sponge slipped over the intake of the filter.

I decided to take a picture for you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
prefilters are great. they keep large particles (leaves, snails, etc.) from getting sucked into your filter and clogging it. i don't know how many times i've opened up my filter to find it full of baby snails.

and like Rex said, carbon isn't necessary. it absorbs chemicals from the tank, and once all its possible chemical bonds are "used up" (about 2 weeks or so) it is entierly useless. unless you are using medications, or have tannins from driftwood (turns the water yellow/brown) there is absolutely no need for activated carbon. i don't use it in any of my tanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thank you. I will look into that tonight. One more thing there was another pad that came with my xp4 that goes over the carbon do i need to replace that or not worry about having it in there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It would still be a good idea to use the internal pad. It would just get clogged much more slowly since there would be a sponge prefilter before it. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rena XP4 problems here, too

Interesting afternoon I'm having online.... The boss is gone, so I'm browsing the net.

I found, at Cichlid-forum Reviews, that someone gave the XP4 a bad review and said that there are design problems with the filter.

I was interested by this, since I'm having significant problems with an XP4 that I got in September 2007. It surges and pulses A LOT and is quite loud. The flow also isn't nearly as good as when it was first out of the box. Googling "XP4 problems" does return some hits, mainly posts from folks who've found that the XP4's impeller is prone to failure.

I hadn't heard about these issues before, but I did follow suggestions at PlanetRena.com and replaced all of the seals and tubing, which didn't fix the surging and pulsing problem.

The XP4 and XP3 seem to be "night and day" in terms of user satisfaction. While people are encountering problems with the XP4s, everyone seems to agree that the XP3s are golden. I have an XP3 as well, on an adjacent 20-gallon tank, and it works, it's quiet, and filters well.

No real questions here, just a "here's my experience" tale for you all.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I believe it's because of the increased water flow with more sets of filtration baskets through the same size filtration baskets as the smaller filters, which puts much more stress on the impeller and motor...

Possible?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't encountered any problems with mine although I've only had it running less than a month. I was a little dissapointed with the water flow from the start. It dosen't seem to be any greater than the 2 xp3's I'm running. I've since added a booster pump which seems to be working pretty good. I'm now on my way into the fish room to make some pre-filter sponges for my inlets. (thanks rex)

Steve

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Its working to hard to pull the water. I have always preferred multiple smaller filters over one jumbo anyhow. I run an XP2 and a 3 on my 75G.

Water flow slowing is probably just to much media and also clogging.
Surging may be an impellor ready to fail and it is slipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts