The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok..i just spent the past hour trying to fix this. the problem is the pressure on the co2 cylinder is going down wayyy too fast. i adjusted the pressure to 800 psi and it goes down to 0 very quickly. is a leak causing this? or am i suppose to turn the knob on the cylinder to the max? i tried to turn the knob on the co2 cylinder a bit higher but then i hear a pssst sound, and the pointer in the gauge went off the charts so i quicky lowered it.could it be that the regulator is not on tight enough? the type of regulator im using from red sea if that helps.

edit: i read rex's guide on how to set up a pressurized co2 system. and that answers most of my questions. but it is still making noise when i turn the cylinder knob. ive been tightening the regulator nut to the point where i have to use my body weight to push down on the wrench and palms have started hurting. is it still not tight enough? or have i broken the regulator? or is the co2 leaking out of somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Take off the regulator and look on the inside of the metal ring that attaches to the cylinder. Is there a washer? You need one to get a good seal.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
There should be no noise at all. Noise indicates either a faulty regulator or a leak.

Do you have a NEW washer at the cylinder/regulator connection?

There should be no way to "adjust" the pressure of the cylinder. It is what it is. You attach the regulator and open the cylinder knob all the way. And you get what pressure you get.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i tightened it the best i could. i used the washer that came with my regulator. its a hard plastic piece. arent washers suppose to be soft and flexible? should i buy a new washer and try again?

·
Registered
711 Posts
No ,you don't have to change it that is the right one,you must have a leak somewhere else ,use soap & water or Windex.
If you don't find a leak ,then it is as Rex said a faulty regulator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts