The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my goldfish has been having issues. At first it was his float bladder (which is better now), and then he was started to get this twitches or bursts where he would freak out. He is currently in a medbay tank where I was treating him beforehand. There is also some sort of hole in his side? Looks like it goes through the scales and down to some flesh. He is a Sarasa Comet. Any tips on what I should do? When I looked up some things it said it might have been a parasite.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are your water parameters like? How frequently do you maintain your water. It sounds like hole in head disease and that's a VERY hard one to handle.
The medbay tank parameters are 77 F, 7-7.5 pH, 120-180 KH, 180 GH. The Nitrite is a bit higher than usual, like 3-5, but the Nitrate is at 0.On the medbay tank (20 gal) I do daily water changes. My main tank is a 90 gal which I do weekly. When I tested the water it said the Nitrate was a bit too high on the main tank so I worked on that a bit and its better now. I've gotten general cure which says it treats hole in head disease, I don't know what much else I should do.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Just keep the water as clean and stable as possible, perhaps erythromycin? I'm not sure how good the odds are off survival in goldfish as I've only dealt with it in cichlids. I suspect your water quality has something to do with it. Just try to keep trites, trates and ammo at 0 and use the medicine you have a directed along with 50% water changes a day (make sure to dose with your medicine for the water you're replacing and keep your fingers crossed. It could be something other than hole in head but that's what it seems like to me. I wish you the best!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just keep the water as clean and stable as possible, perhaps erythromycin? I'm not sure how good the odds are off survival in goldfish as I've only dealt with it in cichlids. I suspect your water quality has something to do with it. Just try to keep trites, trates and ammo at 0 and use the medicine you have a directed along with 50% water changes a day (make sure to dose with your medicine for the water you're replacing and keep your fingers crossed. It could be something other than hole in head but that's what it seems like to me. I wish you the best!!
The fish has been fighting with the swim bladder and this for a few weeks now so I hope he can continue fighting! Thank you for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The medbay tank parameters are 77 F, 7-7.5 pH, 120-180 KH, 180 GH. The Nitrite is a bit higher than usual, like 3-5, but the Nitrate is at 0.On the medbay tank (20 gal) I do daily water changes. My main tank is a 90 gal which I do weekly. When I tested the water it said the Nitrate was a bit too high on the main tank so I worked on that a bit and its better now. I've gotten general cure which says it treats hole in head disease, I don't know what much else I should do.
We talked about this in another post.

Prior to this post you had posted about an angel nipping at the fins of your comets.

There are good reasons this fish is sick:
Water quality: A nitrite reading of 3-5 is deadly. At the very least it will make fish very stressed and contribute to secondary issues. You also state the nitrates are high as well ( have been).

Temperature: The temperature is much too high for goldfish. I recommended you turn it down last post. Didnt you have another goldfish as well? Did It die?

Aggression from other fish: Angels nipping at fins of comets. Stress leads to illness.

What treatments have you done so far for this fish in med-bay? The wound is where on the fish? Can you take a picture?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Prior to this post you had posted about an angel nipping at the fins of your comets.

Water quality: A nitrite reading of 3-5 is deadly. At the very least it will make fish very stressed and contribute to secondary issues. You also state the nitrates are high as well ( have been).

Temperature: The temperature is much too high for goldfish. I recommended you turn it down last post. Didnt you have another goldfish as well? Did It die?

Aggression from other fish: Angels nipping at fins of comets. Stress leads to illness.

What treatments have you done so far for this fish in med-bay? The wound is where on the fish? Can you take a picture?
Well the

Well the fish that is in the medbay tank is the same fish as my last post. He was never in the same tank as the angel, I have had him healing up from the swim bladder issue in the medbay tank for awhile. There has been no dead fish in my tank for months.

I recently got rid of the angel so that problem has been taken care of.

I know the nitrite and nitrate levels should be at 0, I have been working on them for a little, is there any tips on how I can reduce them as well?

I have my heater turned all the way down and it just keeps my main tank at 74 F, maybe I should buy a new heater that can go lower. The medbay tanks temperature is higher because I read something about keeping it higher for the healing fish, I can decrease that one.

The treatments I have done on the medbay were Epsom salt, Stress Coat, Melafix, and General Cure. I do daily water changes of 25% but I will be increasing them to 50%.

I attached a photo of the fish with the open wound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Water Fin Liquid Fluid Fish

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Well the

Well the fish that is in the medbay tank is the same fish as my last post. He was never in the same tank as the angel, I have had him healing up from the swim bladder issue in the medbay tank for awhile. There has been no dead fish in my tank for months.

I know the nitrite and nitrate levels should be at 0, I have been working on them for a little, is there any tips on how I can reduce them as well?

I have my heater turned all the way down and it just keeps my main tank at 74 F, maybe I should buy a new heater that can go lower. The medbay tanks temperature is higher because I read something about keeping it higher for the healing fish, I can decrease that one.

The treatments I have done on the medbay were Epsom salt, Stress Coat, Melafix, and General Cure. I do daily water changes of 25% but I will be increasing them to 50%.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 1026026

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
That is not Hole in the head. That is a missing scale. If there is a "hole" there I cant see it. But, any erosion of tissue below scale would mean there is a bacterial infection.
Actually, the fish doesnt look too bad considering the extremely high nitrite levels.
The most serious issue is the water quality. You will need to do water changes back to back today until you can get the nitrite levels to 0. Then, each day do as much a water change as possible to have no readings of nitrite. The "treatment" for nitrite toxicity is uniodized salt. Or, aquarium salt if you have it.
Take a bit of aquarium water out of med-tank and place in cup, add 3 tsp of salt, mix and let dissolve, add back to aquarium. With each water change add back salt taken out. Do salt treatment for 3 days.
Is the fish eating?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is not Hole in the head. That is a missing scale. If there is a "hole" there I cant see it. But, any erosion of tissue below scale would mean there is a bacterial infection.
Actually, the fish doesnt look too bad considering the extremely high nitrite levels.
The most serious issue is the water quality. You will need to do water changes back to back today until you can get the nitrite levels to 0. Then, each day do as much a water change as possible to have no readings of nitrite. The "treatment" for nitrite toxicity is uniodized salt. Or, aquarium salt if you have it.
Take a bit of aquarium water out of med-tank and place in cup, add 3 tsp of salt, mix and let dissolve, add back to aquarium. With each water change add back salt taken out. Do salt treatment for 3 days.
Is the fish eating?

Well the fish has missing scales, but the pink mark is different from a normal missing scale. I normally use aquarium salt whenever I do water changes. The fish is eating, for a few weeks he was refusing to eat and excrete waste, but he has gotten back into his normal eating and excretion habits. My guess then would be a bacterial infection

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Goldfish are comfortable in water down to the low 60's F, so you shouldn't have a heater on that tank at all. I'm assuming your tank is in a room with the temperature in at least the 60's.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Well the

Any help would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 1026026
Seeing the picture you provided I agree, that's not hole in head. It's probably an injury from it spazzing out from nitrite gassing. Large water changes, adding of bb and a lot of diligence. Have you checked the base readings of your tap water? Maybe try purigen?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've never had a heater in my goldfish tanks and I live in a state where it's winter 8 months out of the year. The only heaters I've used for goldfish have been in outdoor pond fish winter containers, they only heat to 55°. Please consider removing your heater.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Goldfish are comfortable in water down to the low 60's F, so you shouldn't have a heater on that tank at all. I'm assuming your tank is in a room with the temperature in at least the 60's.
These goldfish have always been around 74-77 F for over a year now and Im just starting to get problems with them now. Ive been slowly reducing the tank temperature because I don't want to stress them out with a fast change.

These goldfish have always been around 74-77 F for over a year now and Im just starting to get problems with them now. Ive been slowly reducing the tank temperature because I don't want to stress them out with a fast change.
I've never had a heater in my goldfish tanks and I live in a state where it's winter 8 months out of the year. The only heaters I've used for goldfish have been in outdoor pond fish winter containers, they only heat to 55°. Please consider removing your heater.
He had a sore like this before, but a hole was never made. He is also in an empty tank so I don't really know how he could have hurt himself like that. I have not tried to read the tap water yet. I will start fixing the temperature

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
He may have flicked the rim of the tank. The good news on your behalf is this isn't hih. I lost my favourite oscar to hih when I had to leave him in the care of my cousin due to medical reasons. He was my favorite fish ever, used to come over and lay in my hand when I was vacuuming his tank and would take shrimp from my hand. I had him for 10 years, saved him from his first experience with hih as a juvenile, he was 18" when he passed away. Sorry for the pathetic story.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He may have flicked the rim of the tank. The good news on your behalf is this isn't hih. I lost my favourite oscar to hih when I had to leave him in the care of my cousin due to medical reasons. He was my favorite fish ever, used to come over and lay in my hand when I was vacuuming his tank and would take shrimp from my hand. I had him for 10 years, saved him from his first experience with hih as a juvenile, he was 18" when he passed away. Sorry for the pathetic story.
You're completely fine, I understand the bonds people make with their fish. When should I be putting him back in the main tank? The main tanks levels are all fine and a lower temp. I just didn't know if he had anything that could spread to my other fish.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I would get a handle on those nitrites first and just try to keep your qt as clean and consistent 0 ammo, trites and trates and maybe add some aquarium salt I think it's a 1 tablespoon salt to 1 gallon of water as goldfish do tend to respond well to it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.