The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having issues with the nano DC - the liquid turns clear.
This has happened with the DC hanging on the side of the tank and while submerged. Below is part of an email I sent to Cal Aqua:

I installed the DC in the tank submerged and it operated as expected for 24 hrs or so. The liquid then went clear (as has happened numerous other times) and I waited to see what would happen. I waited another 12 hrs or so and then removed the DC from the tank. To my surprise, in an hour or so, the liquid turned blue.
We can surmise that the DC doesn’t have a leak if the liquid turns blue again once removed from the tank. If the liquid was contaminated it would not turn blue again.

Has anyone else had issues with this particular DC - I know there is one other thread in the forum history where someone references a bubble that can form and render the DC useless if there is a lot of surface movement in the tank. My tank does not have that condition.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I received the drop checker back from Cal Aqua who told me there are no leaks and it works fine in their lab.
They also state that in 10 years they have never heard of anyone having a bubble with their DC.
Well, here is the photo I just took of mine with a bubble at the inlet opening.
I set the DC up this time on the other side of the tank away from the circulation pump I have.
Very little water movement in this area of the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If the liquid is turning clear when in use, and turns back to blue when you remove the drop checker, it would seem that the drop checker itself is ok.

It's possible there is not quite enough indicator being used in the drop checker solution. You can try refilling the drop checker with solution, and adding 1 drop of your normal FW pH indicator solution. This may give you better results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.