The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The cloudiness could be a harmless bacterial bloom if the tank is new, or it could be the start of green water if there's too much light and nutrients available. Purigen might help but if it's GW then you may need a UV sterilizer, diatom filter or a lot of patience. If it's milky colored then it's probably bacteria bloom, just wait and it'll go away. The 80% water changes probably aren't helping anything.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Dingy yellow... do you have driftwood in the tank? If so it's probably releasing tannins. Either way I would try Purigen first, the cheapest one comes in a bag and you can throw it right into the filter. Water changes won't help any of those problems. You'll know if you have green water if you leave it alone for a week, if that becomes the case then the $30 submersible UV sterilizers are the cheapest mechanical option besides blacking the tank out.

Reoccurring bacterial blooms in old setups are usually due to an overloaded biofilter, too much ammonia/ nitrogen production. Maybe over cleaning of the tank and filter can cause it too. High water temp probably helps. Most of the time it just goes away on it's own after the colony reaches a balance.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
You're mistaken, the biofilter is the colony of bacteria that complete the nitrogen cycle. Every tank has them to some degree, unless it's empty. When I said 'overloaded biofilter' I meant bioload is too high, too many fish, too much food, too much nitrogen etc. But you don't have many fish so don't know what to say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.