The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got three tanks set up - a 29G, a 25G, and a 10G, all with gravel, lots of plants, and a light fish load - a very light fish load. the 10 only has two guppies in it! Its chemical parameters are the same as the 25G tank, but it keeps getting cloudy and I have to do an 80% water change every week. The plants are healthy. I cannot figure out what is happening! The 25G has a small HOB filter, one for a 10G tank; neither the 29G or the 10G have a filter. Outside of adding a filter, I do not know what to do - and if I do add a filter, I don't know which kind to add. I'd like to make the 10 a guppy fry tank, so I'm thinking a sponge filter.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The water is a dingy yellow, so algae are not the problem. BTW, I have been very stingy with the food. A diatom filter is WAY too expensive! I suspect a UV sterilizer is even costlier. Let's talk low tech... My best guess is a recurring bacterial bloom but I cannot figure out what is feeding it. I'm going to continue with the wwater changes for now - a 10G tank is at least not much hassle to change.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're mistaken, the biofilter is the colony of bacteria that complete the nitrogen cycle.
I stand corrected.

Here are my plans. Since I am going to use this for guppy fry, I do not want a standard filter, and there are no sponge filters for sale anywhere close by. As for Purigen, not only is it not available locally, I do not know what it is - an admittedly brief search of the website did not enlighten me very much. I'll go to an online dealer and oreder a sponge filter so that i will at least have some filtration going on, plus I will research the Purigen and if I like what i find I will get it also. In the meantime I will change the water only if the fish obviously are distressed. I'll be gone Jan. 5 - 19, so they definitely will be left alone then!

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would appear essabee was right. I'd put in several ferilizer tabs, so I suspected a dilute green water might indeed be the problem and I stopped having the lights on except at feeding time. This morning the tank is definitely clearer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.