The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3-4 huge manzanita wood branches in my 92g that was setup 3 weeks ago. I want to do a rescape due to the addition of new plants. I'll definitely have to take them out of the water for at least an hour or two.

I'm concerned that the beneficial bacteria that's amassed on them may die off if I do so and with it being a newer tank I rather it not. I do have an FX5 that has one tray of seeded media from another tank plus another tray of bio balls.

Am I just over thinking this? Should I fill the tub with water, dechlorinate and then add the wood there? These are large two feet pieces.

Thanks for any help!

Richard

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I would still put the wood in a tub, etc. for a couple reasons. One is the bacteria which I value highly even when I know I have plenty but then if there are plants on the wood or just to keep it from drying, I still favor keeping it wet. I find used tank water is a handy way to go and then dump it. No need to waste new water when always dumping old.
If you handle things gently, something as cheap as a garbage bag in a cardboard box will work. Just avoid tearing the bag!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
As longgonedaddy said your filter and your substrate is your main source of nitrogen cycling bacteria. Even if the bacteria on the wood are to die, the wood would quickly be re-colonized once put back in the aquarium.

Another good thing is that ,if waterlogged, the wood will remain wet for more than 2 hours. If you have moss or other plants attached to it you can cover the plants with wet paper kitchen towels. Keep them moist an no damage will occur.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would still put the wood in a tub, etc. for a couple reasons. One is the bacteria which I value highly even when I know I have plenty but then if there are plants on the wood or just to keep it from drying, I still favor keeping it wet. I find used tank water is a handy way to go and then dump it. No need to waste new water when always dumping old.
If you handle things gently, something as cheap as a garbage bag in a cardboard box will work. Just avoid tearing the bag!
I know this is overly cautious, but I'm leaning towards it since it's so simple. I actually waterlogged them in the same tub.

As longgonedaddy said your filter and your substrate is your main source of nitrogen cycling bacteria. Even if the bacteria on the wood are to die, the wood would quickly be re-colonized once put back in the aquarium.

Another good thing is that ,if waterlogged, the wood will remain wet for more than 2 hours. If you have moss or other plants attached to it you can cover the plants with wet paper kitchen towels. Keep them moist an no damage will occur.
Yea, I do agree that I'm probably over doing it. That is a good point though, they should stay pretty wet for a while regardless. It'll only take me an hour to do what I need to do.

Thanks everyone! Looks like I should be good to go either way, I'll let you all know what I end up doing tomorrow!

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Being careful is something most of us have to learn to practice and the more we practice the better we get. I like to protect all those little bacteria helpers any time I can. That way if I get distracted or called away, I'm still good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts