The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helllo All,
I have had a Betta plakat, very amazing colors, very active, always prowling/flairing etc. He is a great little fish, his name in Ingram. Ingram started out in a 11 gallon riparium and did nicely and transistioned for a few weeks to a 20 gallon iwagumi setup that I had. I recently tore it down and put him and some shrimp and other fish in a 5 gallon mini-riparium setup today. My tanks have all been healthy, no sick fish, no ich, no weird things occuring etc. Recently, in the past week or so I have noticed and then moreso noticed tonight that the operculum on his right side seems to be swollen. He is very active, always inquisitive, eating, non lethargic. He does not appear to have any swelling of the abdomen, eyes, or any other area the body. No signs of Ich either. It is just a patch of swollen and lighter/whitish (sortof) skin along the operculum. He appears to be flaring it fine.
Is this some sort of dropsy or other fungal thing that might be going on? I dont want to lose this guy, he is really cool and also cost quite a penny!!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yeah sounds like an infection to me. Parasite may be another option. Any chance you can get a closeup pic?

If not an antibiotic, I'd try QTing him in warm, clean water (80-82F) with up to 1 tbsp of salt per gallon. It's a general remedy that bettas often do well with, and can effectively treat a broad range of issues. Adding some tannins to the water (driftwood, brown leaves, a little blackwater extract, etc) can also help with minor issues.

I'd probably start with that, and jump up to an antibiotic if the salt doesn't seem to help after a week (or sooner if he takes a turn for the worse).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts