The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right place to post this.

I live in Rhode Island, and am ordering from someone who lives in Arizona (PlantedAquariumsCentral.com). I want to save $30 and have the plants ship Priority Mail thru USPS.

My question is: do you all generally receive orders in 3 days?

Seems most folks ship using Priority on the trade forum (which I would use, if I didn't have to order from multiple people [and pay mult. shipping charges]).

The weather is a balmy 50F for the high thru till next week, I'm just wondering because I haven't ordered anything not through Amazon Prime since... I can't remember. Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I live in northern Maine and received a shipment of plants last week using priority mail from CA. It took 3 days for them to arrive and they were all in good shape. The seller did add extra insulation and 2 heat packs

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I ship alot of plants. Generally east coast to west coast is 2-3 days, but of course it's not guaranteed but it works out most of the time.

To add some insurance, when you order. Confirm that they are shipping on a Monday or Tuesday. This way if there is a slight delay they have 4-5 days to reach you before they get stuck over the weekend.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
Depends on source and destination afaict.....
even Priority Express is 1 or 2 days depending...

It gets real iffy if they use Fedex for transport and postal service for last leg.. and what day of the week it leaves of course..
That said, most are 3 days..
USPS, at least for me, has gotten quite good on delivering at the time they state..

Suggest insurance if you are doing "commerce".. First $50 is free btw.. Need to check the fine print on live goods..
but not seeing it.. Here it's a hoot when our PO receives bee's..... ;)
4.3.2 Ineligible Matter

The following types of mail may not be insured:

Parcels containing matter offered for sale, addressed to prospective purchasers who have not ordered or authorized their sending. If such matter is mailed, payment is not made for loss, damage, or missing contents.
PO stuff
Nonmailable matter.
Articles so fragile that they cannot be carried safely in the mail regardless of packaging.
Articles not adequately prepared to withstand normal handling in the mail. As a rule, any mailable package should be insurable.
Matter mailed at First-Class Mail, First-Class Package Service — Retail, or Priority Mail prices that consists of items required to be mailed at First-Class Mail prices.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#ep1063624
Never had an issue w/ live snails sent from NOLA to WI.. ;) At least NOT in the winter..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I live in northern Maine and received a shipment of plants last week using priority mail from CA. It took 3 days for them to arrive and they were all in good shape. The seller did add extra insulation and 2 heat packs

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I ship alot of plants. Generally east coast to west coast is 2-3 days, but of course it's not guaranteed but it works out most of the time.

To add some insurance, when you order. Confirm that they are shipping on a Monday or Tuesday. This way if there is a slight delay they have 4-5 days to reach you before they get stuck over the weekend.
Depends on source and destination afaict.....
even Priority Express is 1 or 2 days depending...

It gets real iffy if they use Fedex for transport and postal service for last leg.. and what day of the week it leaves of course..
That said, most are 3 days..
USPS, at least for me, has gotten quite good on delivering at the time they state..

Suggest insurance if you are doing "commerce".. First $50 is free btw.. Need to check the fine print on live goods..
but not seeing it.. Here it's a hoot when our PO receives bee's..... ;)
4.3.2 Ineligible Matter

The following types of mail may not be insured:

Parcels containing matter offered for sale, addressed to prospective purchasers who have not ordered or authorized their sending. If such matter is mailed, payment is not made for loss, damage, or missing contents.
PO stuff

Never had an issue w/ live snails sent from NOLA to WI.. ;) At least NOT in the winter..
Thank you all for the speedy replies. I know this forum must get inundated with questions like this, really appreciate it.

I think I will take the risk and order with Priority. I checked the USPS website and it says the whole of Rhode Island, shipping from AZ, is 3 days average, so I will give it a shot.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thank you all for the speedy replies. I know this forum must get inundated with questions like this, really appreciate it.

I think I will take the risk and order with Priority. I checked the USPS website and it says the whole of Rhode Island, shipping from AZ, is 3 days average, so I will give it a shot.

Cheers all.
You shouldn't worry too much about plants dying during shipping. Most plants tend to rebound unless they're frozen or boil alive during shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
I've had good luck with priority. Not so much right now. I purchased a plant package from a member here last week. It was shipped on Monday. I was surprised that the USPS tracker said it wouldn't be delivered until Friday. Then it said it was delayed. It's in limbo now. Don't know where it's at or when it will get here and I don't have much hope for it being anything other than a bag of mush. Last update with any info was on the 21st saying it arrived in Philadelphia. Every day since that it just says is that it's on it's way.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
There are mishaps just like there are in any industry. But I would say out of maybe 200 packages sent I can count on one hand the number of times a package gets mis-routed/delayed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey! I actually just received some plants from PlantedAquariumsCentral probably about 8 days ago.

I live in Florida, received the plants in 3 days. They really packaged the plants very well, so I wouldn't worry too much about them becoming damaged or dying, even if your package is delayed by a day or two.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Most plants are good for up to 5-6 days or so without much damage. Ferns, Anubias, Buce, Moss can last probably double that.

It's also a myth that priority mail is faster than 1st class. The only real difference is, that priority mail

1. must be used if the package exceed 16 oz (online) 13 oz at post office
2. priority mail you can use free boxes.
3. priority mail comes with $50 of insurance.

Other than that they are both 1-3 days depending on the origin and destination.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE

Received a shipment from LiquidCreations.co (@bartohog) from Arkansas. All plants healthy and adjusting well to new tank environment. It shipped Saturday and I received them Monday, temps were in low 40s (F) here. Would like to confirm Priority Mail works for plants, thanks all and thanks to LiquidCreations.co for an easy shipment! I'll be sure to post once I've organized the tank a bit more.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
Priority includes tracking (extra w 1st class) and $50 free ins. (extra w/ first class)
and if you live in nowhere USA 1st class IS slower..though not by much.

That and a few other factors (like ease of buying postage on line ect) matter to some mean nothing to others..

First-Class

First-class mail is used for postcards, letters, large envelopes, and small packages. First-class mail must weigh 13 ounces or less. Pieces over 13 ounces can be sent as Priority Mail.

USPS first-class delivery is given priority over standard mail, and local mail will typically be delivered in 2-3 days. Nationally, first-class mail should be delivered in about 4 days. First-class mail postage includes forwarding and return services with no additional charge.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Priority includes tracking (extra w 1st class) and $50 free ins. (extra w/ first class)
and if you live in nowhere USA 1st class IS slower..though not by much.

That and a few other factors (like ease of buying postage on line ect) matter to some mean nothing to others..

Ugh, nice try but you are completely misinformed. I ship hundreds of packages a year and I talk with post office management on a regular basis. Both services are 1 to 3 days depending on origin and destination. I send packages from New York to CA and they usually get there in 2 days, but CA could be 3 just like priority. I've delivered Hawaii from New York in 3 days.

You could buy either online and at a discount. A typical package under 1 lb is around $3.00 1st class and around $7.00 Priority for the same turnaround. They both come with tracking if purchased online. The only difference is with priority you get $50 insurance and you can order free boxes. Still not worth the extra $4 on average to have a package delivered the same day. There are plenty of people on this forum that have ordered from me 1st class and they can verify the delivery.

But since I know you like outside links so much:

1st Class Mail
Priority Mail
Compare Mailing Services

Even your quote is either wrong or outdated. Online postage for 1st class is up to 1 lb and includes tracking when purchased online. That's why you can't just attach links from outside sources. You need to do it yourself as well to know what's true and what's not.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
I also ship daily..
Like I said, there are factors to consider other than cost..
I NEVER ship 1st class. contents are too valuable..
Our ins. doesn't cover 1st class
Read those... doesn't change my "opinion" in the least..

Best priced service for mail up to 13 oz
Delivery in 1 to 3 business days
Insurance for loss or damage up to $5,000 for merchandise only
Can combine with extra services to confirm delivery
Get up to 3.5 ounces free with commercial priced letters and cards
Ins.. extra.. Tracking extra.. not sure where you get 1st class tracking from w/out paying a premium..

Free Package Pickup service at your home or office
Includes USPS Tracking® when you ship online and at retail
Delivery in 1 to 3 business days.
Includes up to $50 of insurance with most shipments6 (restrictions apply)
it's not ALL about $'s.....

Locally it takes 2 days for a village to city mailing.. 5mi away....

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I NEVER ship 1st class. contents are too valuable..
That's the problem. Your trying to prove me wrong about a service you never use so you attach outdated or links that are not applicable. You didn't even know that 1st class is up to 1 lb and gives you free tracking online, yet your trying to tell me whats right or wrong. It makes your motive very clear.

Contents to valuable? We are talking about plants, trimmings. I sleep fine at night knowing these are gong first class LOL.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
That's the problem. Your trying to prove me wrong about a service you never use so you attach outdated or links that are not applicable. You didn't even know that 1st class is up to 1 lb and gives you free tracking online, yet your trying to tell me whats right or wrong. It makes your motive very clear.

Contents to valuable? We are talking about plants, trimmings. I sleep fine at night knowing these are gong first class LOL.
Well never was too strong of word.. It is rare-occasional..
And we get in inter-town letters all the time 2 days 5 miles.. ;)

To each their own..
I've never mailed a letter 1st class that gave me a tracking number
1st class Packages.. well different story... yes not real familiar

I'm not trying to "prove you wrong" just that it isn't as "universal" as you believe..Depends where you are and where it is going..
I LISTED the other things (will research the tracking number but NEVER found it free for 1st class)

USPS Tracking with a Shipping Label

In most cases, when you print a shipping label for a package with Stamps.com, you will automatically receive USPS Tracking free of charge. Note that First Class Large Envelope will not include USPS Tracking.
How to Track First Class Mail
by Anthony Brandt; Updated September 26, 2017 First-Class Mail is the ordinary method used by the United States Postal Service (USPS) to deliver standard letters. First-Class Mail can be used to send letters and small packages weighing 13 ounces or less. While its time to delivery is not guaranteed, the USPS estimates one to three days, though duration of up to a week or so are possible. A form of First-Class Mail, Priority Mail, is likewise not guaranteed but is almost always delivered within two to three days. While tracking First-Class Mail in a step-by-step manner like UPS or FedEx is not possible, a variety of additional services allow the sender to find out when and to whom his or her mail was delivered.
https://bizfluent.com/how-5089869-track-first-class-mail.html

Will check w/ our carrier this AM..

Maybe things have changed..

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
Boy, it looks like we can fight about anything here.

Be aware of what insurance will actually cover. I received my priority mail package from PA to CA yesterday. It was received by the PO on Feb 20. Tracking dropped off on the 24th and there was no update until yesterday. The plants are a stinking mess. According to the USPS site "Perishable contents frozen, melted, spoiled, or deteriorated." are a "Non payable claim". You only get reimbursed if they damage the contents or loose it. If they loose it you can't even file a claim until 90 days have passed.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
This is the most insane argument I've ever had on TPT. You never use 1st class by your own admission, I use it hundreds of times a year and your attaching outdated or irrevelant links to support your argument when I have first hand knowledge. You are simply incapable of admitting you are incorrect.

Who cares what your local carrier says. It's completely universal that's why it's 1 to 3 days for each depending on start and finish. You are attaching links that it's 13 oz (it was and still is if you buy postage at the post office). Do you think any plant supplier is buying their postage at a physical post office?

Bump:
Boy, it looks like we can fight about anything here.

Be aware of what insurance will actually cover. I received my priority mail package from PA to CA yesterday. It was received by the PO on Feb 20. Tracking dropped off on the 24th and there was no update until yesterday. The plants are a stinking mess. According to the USPS site "Perishable contents frozen, melted, spoiled, or deteriorated." are a "Non payable claim". You only get reimbursed if they damage the contents or loose it. If they loose it you can't even file a claim until 90 days have passed.
That's a very good point, perishable is a different ball game when it comes to insurance. This is what happens when someone has no experience with something and attaches outdated links. Postage weights and fees change yearly, so any links form last year are irrelevant today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts