The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be getting a packet of seeds that will include probably 5-10 each of Spinytail fairy shrimp, Beavertail fairy shrimp, Clam shrimp, daphnia, seed shrimp and Triops sp.
Has anyone had experience with raising this kind of mix? I seem to be able to find plenty of information on individual species, but not much on raising them together. Looking for any tips and tricks from those that may have done so already.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I ordered a packet of fairy shrimp.. didn't have very good luck with distilled water and a lamp... Like the directions said.. one day, I tossed some eggs in a tub outside(summer time) full of tadpoles and minnows and tons of hair algae/floaters..

A few days later I started noticing little freaky looking shrimp, but they didn't last long. The eggs seemed mixed anyway, even though they were supposed to be only fairies(which is cool.) Never got any triops, but they're supposed to be tiny predators and will eat fairy shrimp and other little things..

Also, dumped some of the powdered eggs into a couple tanks too, after a while a bunch of barely visible things were all over the glass eating at the algae and stuff.. cool

·
Registered
684 Posts
From my experience with growing triops, the reason why most people fail or have low success rates at hatching is due to stability of temperature. Lighting comes next.

My method which gives me a very high hatching rate is to prepare an aquarium 2.5G+ by filling it up with water and put in a heater. Set it to the desired temperature *probably 76F but check with your hatching instructions* put the sand/eggs in a clean plastic container, add your distilled water,
*then mix it all up* and then place it into the tank with the warmed up water. it should float, if not, put in more sand or water to balance it. I use a low heat and energy efficient light bulb as my light source because I don't need it heating up the tank. *plus to save money on the electric bill because you are leaving the light on for quiet sometime* After 24 hours you should have something *unless they call for more time*

Also you may want to put in detritus or something to grow/produce micro organisms. IE reptile bedding, alder cones, IAL, coconut husk, i had this mix of dried up tiny bits of wood chips. This feeds them when they are still tiny wriggling inverts.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drat, was hoping they would be alright in a planted 3 gallon bowl on my window sill, but I'm sure the temperature in that is not stable...
Thanks for the info :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts