1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current Aquarium
View attachment 15113

Journal

This is my first aquarium, a planted 20 long. I'm still working on the layout, so any advice or suggestions would be great.

Substrate: 40 lbs Eco Complete
Filter: Topfin 30
Heater: Topfin 100W
Lighting: Coralife Aqualight, 65W 6700K bulb
CO2: DIY Yeast
I've been fertilizing with Flourish and Flourish Excel.

Fauna:
19 Neon Tetras
5 Ghost Catfish
3 Corydoras schwartzi
1 Corydora julii
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Common Pleco

Flora:
Red Melon Sword
Amazon Sword
Ludwigia Repens
Moneywort

Comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That one plant looks like Ludwigia repens.

Try moving the red melon sword to where the ludwigia is. That sword will grow tall and will end up blocking out the amazon sword in the back.

Great start. You may have to start dosing macro nutrients though(nitrogen, phosphate and potassium) since I dont think Flourish supplies anything but the micronutrients.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Add some drift wood or rocks.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
IMO 20L is the best sized tank. One thing you should really consider is a foreground plant. I had HC in my old 20 and it works really well. I would also suggest Glosso. Also what are you using to diffuse your CO2?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I added some rocks today, and replaced the chopstick I was using to diffuse the CO2 with an airstone. I'll order a glass diffuser soon. I also plan on rearranging the swords. Here's the tank with two rocks i added.

So far I've had no luck finding HC locally, or any good foreground plants. I may have to order online.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
So far I've had no luck finding HC locally, or any good foreground plants. I may have to order online.
put a 'want to buy' thread in the 'swap n shop' in this forum!

most times, you'll get better plants for less by doing so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nice looking tank. How often do you have to refill your DIY c02?
Thanks. I have 2 two liter bottles with a teaspoon of yeast and two cups of sugar in each. They share a diffuser. So far they've been running for 2-3 weeks and are still working steadily. I expect to have to refill once a month, but I'm not sure yet. I'll prob make the switch to CO2 system someday but I'm still new to the hobby so I'm going to keep it simple for a while.

If anyone has an idea for a good midground plant I'd like to hear them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah corys can be a pain in the but. When I first got my glosso the corys keep uprooting it as well till it finally took strong enough hold.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts