The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to restock my dechlor product and am debating trying amquel+. I have been using prime for quite some time but amquel seems to be a little less expensive and for me that is a big deal at this time. Amquel is 3 or 4 dollars cheaper for a 16 oz bottle.

So my question for you is which do you prefer and why? Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Prime is by far cheapest conditioner on the market even in europe simply because its way concentrated than all others. think of treated water volume insted of bottle volume when comparing

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Want even more water treatment for your buck? Get Seachem Safe (powder version of Prime, if I recall correctly it just doesn't have the heavy metal detoxifying and slime coat producing abilities that the liquid Prime has).

I just use Safe now as I don't need those extra 2 effects and it even makes Prime seem costly (price to amount of gallons it treats).

If you just solely need a water conditioner to remove chlorine, you can get really cheap Sodium Thiosulfate (Kensfish has them). Note that it does not break down/remove chloramine, detoxify ammonia or any other effects like the others.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the great and informative posts. I think hands down we have an answer. Much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The difference is prime can be dosed for a week with new fish in an uncycled tank.
I suspect it dechlorinates as well as binding ammonia in fish-safe form that may still be available to bacteria and plants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.