The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im doing a DSM with MGOCPM capped with sand mixed with floramax and inert black gravel. the water level sits about an inch above the substrate in the lower level end of the sloped substrate. i can see some nastly looking stuff leaching into that water. With all that being said. is there anyway to prevent ammonia spikes in a tank with Miracle Grow for the best interest of its inhbaitants.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You could soak it in a bucket for a few weeks until the ammonia is gone. I'm switching to that stuff myself shortly so I'll be paying attention to this thread. Also if you already have cycled filters that could cut down on the ammonia.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The flora in tank will include glosso...weeping moss...blyxa...mini pellia and anubias.... Do these suck up enough nitrates? Will the soil release ammonia faster than it can be converted to nitrates and ultimately utilized by the plants.
Not really. Most of these are slow growing. Check the WTB/RAOK forum for some floaters like frogbit and dwarf water lettuce.

The plants have preference for consuming ammonia first, then nitrites, then finally nitrates. So if you have enough fast growers, ammonia shouldn't be a problem. Test the tank if you aren't sure.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You cannot prevent the soil from releasing ammonia. But you can work with the tank to help it develop a good colony of beneficial bacteria. Nitrifying bacteria will get a good start in your tank so that when you are ready to add livestock it might be fully cycled.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really. Most of these are slow growing. Check the WTB/RAOK forum for some floaters like frogbit and dwarf water lettuce.

The plants have preference for consuming ammonia first, then nitrites, then finally nitrates. So if you have enough fast growers, ammonia shouldn't be a problem. Test the tank if you aren't sure.
Will the floaters be a permanent addition or will the ammonia spikes subside over time?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
im doing a DSM with MGOCPM capped with sand mixed with floramax and inert black gravel. the water level sits about an inch above the substrate in the lower level end of the sloped substrate. i can see some nastly looking stuff leaching into that water. With all that being said. is there anyway to prevent ammonia spikes in a tank with Miracle Grow for the best interest of its inhbaitants.
DSM - dry start method.
Here in lies the dilemma. A very small water volume = higher nutrient concentration.

Using an organic soil base with a full planting of the tank with root feeders and floaters only twice in a dozen starts have I seen ammonia readings higher than 0.25ppm. The DSM is going to make it hard control.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DSM - dry start method.
Here in lies the dilemma. A very small water volume = higher nutrient concentration.

Using an organic soil base with a full planting of the tank with root feeders and floaters only twice in a dozen starts have I seen ammonia readings higher than 0.25ppm. The DSM is going to make it hard control.
I'm asking if there will be spikes after filling after the DSM.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DSM - dry start method.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recently started a dirted tank with MGOPS and expected to have lots of ammonia when I filled it. (I did not do a dry start). I actually had barely any and had to add ammonia to cycle the tank. My tank was only half planted at the time too. I think the ammonia might not be as big a problem as you think once you flood the tank. As Wkndracer said the dry start will have higher concentrations because it is not diluted in the whole tank yet.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I didn't get any ammonia after I filled my tank. The only ammonia readings I saw were when I added some to help start the cycle. If you're worried about ammonia spikes, wait a few weeks after filling your tank and test if there's any noticeable levels of ammonia in the water column. I waited about 3 weeks after adding the water before I started adding livestock. During this time period, I cycled the tank and added a generous amount of floaters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.