The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my favorite plant right now. It's an Anubias hastifolia that I had growing in my 55-gallon riparium setup.

I think that it has a wonderfully expressive shape. The leaves and petioles look like brush strokes to me. It is a slow grower. It sprouts a new leaf only every 8 weeks or so.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get the impression that most of those large Anubias with sagittate do best grown emersed and some can't even really survive long-term underwater.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Really cool! It almost looks like a plant made by Dr. Suess, or is that just me? :) How tall does it get?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your right! It looks like something from The Lorax.

It is about 16" tall. I suspect that it will grow to at least a couple of feet high.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah thanks very much.

I hope to get some more of the larger Anubias. There are a number of other species to choose from. The problem of course is finding the space for them. Maybe I need to make a 120-gallon Anubias-themed tank(?)......hmmm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys sorry to dig up this old thread. How do you place your anubias nad bolbitis for emersed growth. Do you let water run over the rhizome? Or do you guys just place the rhizome on a wet bed of fertile substrate? Need elaborate info as I am planning to start a emersed setup for both these plants.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That Anubia you just sent me is a monster. It literally takes up a 16"x18" area. No doubt the largest Anubia I have ever seen.

Its hard to pick a favorite Anubia, but thats a beauty!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey that's good to hear that that plant got there OK. It seems that A. barteri 'Broad Leaf' just quickly starts growing much larger when you get it up above the water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts