The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... beauty is in the eye of the beholder! So what's the prettiest fish, and the ugliest? The ugliest for me, as well as most interesting, is the toadfish

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Haha, you are right! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Oddballs are really cool to me and they are the main types of fish that drew me to the hobby.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I really like super vc10 hap. Very pretty fish and a wide range of coloration according to mood and disposition. Hongi is another that I really like the color. I'm guessing after seeing the toadfish it has to be one of the ugliest fish I have seen.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Deepsea anglerfish far outstrip any shallow-water fish in pure ugliness. At least the toadfish mostly looks like something from this planet.
There are a lot of contenders for prettiness, but I'd say either bettas in general or breeding color longear sunfish.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Being that I like oddballs, I think those freaky looking fish are pretty cool, but I can't say that I'd be inclined to keep blobfish. That's just one ugly fish, even if it does look sort of human haha

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I like oddballs too, but there are some critters that are just undeniably ugly. A lot of them are also venomous or otherwise hazardous to your health, too.
Blobfish look a bit less blobby in their natural habitat, kinda like a toadfish crossed with a tadpole. The poor things just kinda burst outwards when not under immense amounts of pressure.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think giant gouramis are probably the ugliest fish kept in the hobby. The prettiest to me are wild caught roseline barbs, especially when they are pushing 5 inches.

·
Registered
489 Posts
For me, far, FAR too many fish to possibly call one out as the prettiest.
I could type for pages just on the New World representatives of the family cichlidae alone, then move on to Africa with the same family - that would take pages and pages, and then move on to charcins, the live bearers.
Even making a top 30 list is a fools errand. (for me), if I cared to take the time it would be more like a "pretties 1000"

I mean look at a good red top Afra, or Zebra 'Chilumbae' male in full dress - that's without even thinking about Victorians.
Yeah - fools errand.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One for the saltwater tank

Bump: Should help save on electricity bills and resolve algae issues :)

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love killifish - don't have any. They give saltwater fish a run for their money. Do have a few Roseline sharks approaching 5 inches. Feeding them blood worms jacks up their red stripe. Females seem to be a bit more muted in colour

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I occasionally add live mosquito larvae, then step back to watch them feed, but they're already finished eating. Fast fish - sorta like an aquatic Bugatti. They do better in groups. Sometimes a Siamese algae eater (similar size) will join them in their trips along the tank. They very sociable fish. Ideally they need a long tank, aged water and a fast flow. The latter doesn't seem to be critical as they like messing about low down among the plants and substrate.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Totally awesome! Have you got any spares ones. I want! I really do! Hoeveel?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I saw about 5 in a petshop in Paarl 2 weeks ago, think they were R70 each, about 7cm long, nice and big but they were very pale. The guy is not the best fish keeper... clean tanks, dirty filters.
He said he can get them quite easily.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many thanks. Now I have to figure out a way of getting them from Paarl to PMB. If you have store name/phone number I'll send a private message... but still learning my way around site.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Just click on the name above the avatar.... a menu will drop down.

But check with your local petshop, maybe they can order them in too. I have seen them at lots of places over the years, they are not too uncommon in South Africa.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts