The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I didn't read too much into it or know much about it, but can you refill the bottles? If not, I would look toward a paintball setup instead. Cost/setup is similar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd check this out...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=621602

$69 Shipped for the "UltimatePBsetup", and a 20oz paintball tank is about $20 on Amazon. You could probably get one cheaper on Craigslist but you'd have to worry about how it's been treated and how much time was left until the hydro retest date.

A 20oz tank refill at my local tire store is about $7.

So the WHOLE set up would be around $100.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
What size aquarium tank are you going to use this for? If it is bigger than 10 gallons I suggest you buy nothing with a smaller CO2 capacity than 5 pounds. You can find some pretty good equipment at reasonable prices using a 5 pound bottle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd check this out...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=621602

$69 Shipped for the "UltimatePBsetup", and a 20oz paintball tank is about $20 on Amazon. You could probably get one cheaper on Craigslist but you'd have to worry about how it's been treated and how much time was left until the hydro retest date.

A 20oz tank refill at my local tire store is about $7.

So the WHOLE set up would be around $100.

Awesome. I got a PM from him about ordering some dry ferts... maybe I'll just get it all at once!

Can I buy a larger tank - say a 5lb tank and will it fit the stuff that the UltimatePBsetup comes with?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What size aquarium tank are you going to use this for? If it is bigger than 10 gallons I suggest you buy nothing with a smaller CO2 capacity than 5 pounds. You can find some pretty good equipment at reasonable prices using a 5 pound bottle.

46g bowfront.

I'll stay away from the ISTA pro then. I think it said they were just 1 liter cans.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Are smaller bottles not as effective? Or would I just be needing to refill them more often?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Smaller bottles run out quicker on large tanks. I'm running a 20 oz can on a 20 gallon and it lasts about 3 weeks. I'm running a 5lb system on a 20 gallon AND a 30 gallon and it's been over a year.

But please... for the love of everything that is in your house... if you get a 5 lb tank don't even consider using that PB setup.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The average CO2 canister, be it a 5lb bottle or a PB canister has about 800psi pushing on the top. That PB valve is an on/off valve, never meant to regulate the 800psi coming out of the bottle. So that means the needle valve and anything else connected into that line is running at 800psi pressure.

This is completely my own opinion so you can do whatever you like. But I prefer to be safer than sorry, I use a regulator.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am currently using the set thats just like "UltimatePBsetup"
Advise for you, don't get that. It is a pain trying to get the right bps and it needs to be done everytime (if you shut it off at night)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.