The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been thinking about investing on a co2 system. I have read a lot about co2, so here are my questions, hopefully someone can answer me. There are many regulators out there and I believe GLA has some decent one but seems to be a little pricey for me. I also look at Aquatek regulator single outlet with solenoid and bubble counter under $100. I read the needle valve is important because it controls the flow rate, so is the one in aquatek maintains a good constant flow rate like 1bps. I am looking to spend less than $200 for a complete system including the tank. Can anyone suggest what to buy? How long does a 5lb co2 last versus a regular 20oz paintball tank? I don't mind refilling once every 6months. I know both company sells either an adapter or a regulator built for paintball tank. Another question is safety, I have kids at home and I dont want any injuries. In terms of safety, are both paintball and regular co2 basically the same?

I have called a local company inquiring the cost for a 5lb co2 tank and refill. $125 for a 5lb tank and $30 to refill. The tank seems to be expensive as GLA sells it for $70. I don't know about the general refill cost.

Sorry for the long email.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What size tank is this for? I have a paintball setup on a 30g with a CO2 controller and a 20oz tank lasts about a month.

Go for the full sized system but consider buying a regulator body on eBay or something and get a post body kit in the SnS section.

I would try to source the tank locally. Shipping on those things can be pricey.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have consider a paintball setup for a 20 long but I would be going for 10 PPM or so, it's not needed. Even then, I think a tank would last 3 months or so, just guessing. Most of the paintball setups that are DIY don't even have a regulator so a low cost regulator would likely be better.

On my high tech tank, I was lucky and got a setup for free. But, it was basically a weed growing setup someone a friend lived with left. I looked it up online and it was about $100 new. I used it forever as is but bought a needle valve. It didn't help, per say, but the adjustments are exponentially finer. This makes it easier because I had to not only use the included valve but adjust the working pressure to fine tune.

I guess my point is, if you put together a system, you can take less than an ideal setup and upgrade it. You can also piece it together over time, finding deals. If you can find an average regulator, just buy a Fabco needle valve. You don't need a solenoid, though I recommend one, so you can add that later. I have seen tanks for dirt cheap to crazy expensive, both used through stores and locally. If you wait, you could probably get the basic stuff for under $100-150.

I also use a 20lb tank on a 29 gallon (which I may downgrade to a 20 gallon long). I don't even know how long it lasts, it's too long to really care about. If you compare a 24 oz tank to a 20lb tank, it's really significant. Costs me $30ish to fill and I know people on here get it done cheaper.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. This is for a 20L setup, and I would probably go for a 5lb tank instead of a paintball, seems like I can get a new aluminum tank for under $70 shipped online. Now I just need to look for a regulator that fits my budget.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Is there anywhere local that you can get a co2 tank from and just exchange for a new one when it's empty. I looked at buying a 5lb. co2 tank but I found out in the long run it was cheaper to pay the $100 deposit for the tank I got and never have to worry about having to get a hydrotest done. If I ever decide I don't want the tank anymore I get my $100 back. So I basically get to use the tank for free and just pay the $16 to get it refilled.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't think about the hydrotest, how often that needs to be done on a tank? I think I am interested in a refill only if i get a new tank, I wouldn't want to exchange my new tank with a used one.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Hydrotest need to be done every 5 years usually. Some places only do exchanges so it would suck to get a nice shiny new aluminum tank only to go in and have them exchange it with a old steel tank.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
you can get a 5lb for $50 shipped from beverageelements.com, DUAL STAGE regulator for $50 on ebay, and a complete post body kit from me for under $85. (all of which are MUCH higher quality than aquatek) Add a diffuser and tubing for under $15, and you have everything you need for under $200.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.