The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I jus recently purchased this co2 kit from a friend jus need the co2 bottle I think
Regulator with cellenoid and a bubble counter, PH Controller with new probe, new one way valves, and new premium CO2 diffuser. Anyways what else to i need not sure which regulater it is

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm not sure what your question is?? the reg. is in the upper right corner.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
The probe will need to be stored wet to keep it working. Do that sooner rather than later but it may be too late for the one without the cap. Get a manual online for how to calibrate it if not on hand.
For the rest, I will start at the CO2 tank. You need to have a plastic like washer between the reg fitting and the tank fitting. These are cheap and available at most any place that supplies gas. Use a good wrench that lets you put good pressure on the fitting to tighten it. I go for fingertight, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. No piers but something like a box end wrench or Crescent -type is good. Check this joint for leaks when done or you risk having to do it again. The black thing on the reg is the solenoid and it plugs into power. You should hear it click when plug/unplugged. You can use this on a timer but with the controller, the solenoid plugs into the box from the controller so that the controller works like a switch to power the solenoid. Controller switches on the solenoid and the solenoid controls the gas?
Most then have a needle valve to do the fine tuning of the flow. Don't see one there? After the gas comes out of the needle valve we use the bubble counter to see the flow change as we adjust the pressure and needle valve. Then on to the tank and some type of diffuser or reactor to mix the gas with the water.
Caution---do some reading up on the right way to turn the gas on. Doing it in the wrong order can blow the low pressure gauge!

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Thx ya for info should I get a different regulater

Not too sure which regulator that is without a closer image, but it looks like a single stage beer regulator; it will work for the most part.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I would not bother with another reg at this point. The single stage reg can/might/could be a problem so you do need to be aware. EOTD -(end of tank dump) is something some single stage can do. They use a spring and the incoming gas to "balance" and determine the output pressure. In double stage this pressure may vary but it is then re-regulated by the second stage so that the output stays very even down to the end of the tank. A single stage may pass this change of pressure on to the output and needle valve. As a result, running the tank down to really low or out can let the remaining gas go through to the reactor or diffuser at a far greater level that can be bad. If you are running close to the max your fish can handle, the added amount can be deadly. So you have to be double sure that the tank never runs totally flat if you have fish you value.
But you have a safety valve in the controller! As the added amount of CO2 changes the PH in the tank water, the controller will shut the gas off at the solenoid and none should enter the tank until the PH goes back up to the level set by the controller.
I used a single stage reg with controller and never worried. But as I cut back I swapped off the controller and without it, I nearly killed all my fish this week possibly due to over dosing CO2.
The point is in understanding the potential and adjusting your thinking to what you have. I would call it good as the reg is a pretty simple item for our use. After weeks/ months of use the high pressure gauge will begin to move down and that is when I refilled the tank. It will not move down until all the liquid has turned to gas and then you will likely have a week or more to refill---unless you have a leak!

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Why y'all hatin' on the regulator? Looks like a Cornelius, which is one of the types that GLA uses for its rigs, and how many people have regulator issues with GLA? Yeah, it's a single stage, and yeah, there are better regulators out there. But it's solid.

I don't see a needle valve, though it might be hidden in there, probably attached to the solenoid. If it's there, it's most likely pretty low quality, and is likely the weak link in that rig. Could also be one of the old Clippard types that people used to use. Functional, but not good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx guys hopefully when I get home I can take a better pic of the reg it is a cornelius but doesnt have a model no. Or anything but thx guys for all the info

·
Registered
566 Posts
With the way you are wording things, I would have your friend set everything up and explain everything to you or do some serious research before you set this up yourself. I have been researching my first rig since Dec and I am still in the process (bought everything, haven't set up yet).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.