The Planted Tank Forum banner
41 - 60 of 414 Posts

· Administrator
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
You should remove the eBay link in your post, as they are not allowed.

As for the metering valve you linked to, I have not had experience with this Parker needle valve, but it seems very expensive, and excessive for our needs (fluorocarbon rubber seals? Do you plan to be injecting something corrosive into your aquarium?)

· Premium Member
439 Posts
This is one great article! :proud:

I do have a suggestion.

For the methods of CO2 diffusion, a more elaborate introduction and step-by-step guide to the inline CO2 reactors would indefinitely help beginners. All the other methods of diffusion are pretty much self explanatory, but those reactors confused me to no end when I first heard about them, in terms of how to build them and where to buy them etc.

· Administrator
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
For the methods of CO2 diffusion, a more elaborate introduction and step-by-step guide to the inline CO2 reactors would indefinitely help beginners.
I can try to elaborate more on the inline CO2 diffusers.

All the other methods of diffusion are pretty much self explanatory, but those reactors confused me to no end when I first heard about them, in terms of how to build them and where to buy them etc.
How to build them and where to buy them may be beyond the scope of this article. There are lots of good links, however, that I might just link to in my article.

· Registered
345 Posts

As for the metering valve you linked to, I have not had experience with this Parker needle valve, but it seems very expensive, and excessive for our needs (fluorocarbon rubber seals? Do you plan to be injecting something corrosive into your aquarium?)
My bad, won't do it again. I bought the thing for $80 mostly because of it's .0200 Cv and 15 turn resolutions which I believe most swageloks and Ideal's have 10 turn resolutions and a Cv of about .07.

I do admit that this is horrible overkill for a needle valve I'm sure, but if the only place I can find an Ideal is from Rex Grigg for $70+ shipping, then why not pay $10 more for a better NV that looks a lot better IMO. But your right about it being way too much overkill. I also, think even with this needle valve I'll be able to finish my regulator cheaper than buying the postbody kit off Sumo Regulator which comes with the Ideal. (I'm more so talking to myself right now :icon_roll

· Registered
8 Posts
This is a fantastic writeup. I have been doing some research in preparation for getting a pressurized system for a while now. I am mechanically knuckleheaded and I this is the clearest explanation I have come across yet. Well done and thankyou. This is gonna be stickied, right?

· Administrator
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
This is a fantastic writeup. I have been doing some research in preparation for getting a pressurized system for a while now. I am mechanically knuckleheaded and I this is the clearest explanation I have come across yet. Well done and thankyou.
Thanks for the comments. I once approached pressurized CO2 with trepidation (after all, it's pressurized gas, it could explode, right? All kidding aside, it won't if you use it properly :icon_bigg), but after having done the research and gone through all the hoops, it's much simpler now.

This is gonna be stickied, right?
Ask the moderators ;)

· Honeycomb Master
6,767 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I once approached pressurized CO2 with trepidation (after all, it's pressurized gas, it could explode, right? All kidding aside, it won't if you use it properly ), but after having done the research and gone through all the hoops, it's much simpler now.
Great writeup! Very informative and very detailed.

Although extremely rare, i do think you should include the possible dangers associated with pressurized tanks. In early January, i was on my way home from the LFS with my first co2 cylinder, and it randomly (didn't bump it or anything) depressurized in the car as we were getting off the highway- leaving me with a very severe second degree burn on my right leg. I now have a pretty nasty scar that is a little bigger than 3"x3". We're still unsure of what caused it to depressurize.

While the chances of this happening are literally 1/10000+, i think it's important for people to know that these can be dangerous things to have in your home. Take all pre-caucions necessary to be safe.

Would i go back and get another cylinder? Probably, although now i'm a little frightened by them. I'd definitely keep it under a thick stainless steal box, LOL. Understandably, my parents don't like the idea of getting another (when they didn't even like the idea in the first place).

· PT Biologist
3,220 Posts

CO2 is corrosive, the standard seals on a Swagelok valve is only good for three to five years when used for CO2. Which is why I get the valves with the Vitron seals which are good forever. I would think that the more expensive seals on the Parker valve would be a good investment.

Reactions: Hilde

· Administrator
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
CO2 is corrosive, the standard seals on a Swagelok valve is only good for three to five years when used for CO2. Which is why I get the valves with the Vitron seals which are good forever. I would think that the more expensive seals on the Parker valve would be a good investment.
Do you have any information to support this? As far as I know, there are no seals (at least rubber seals) inside a Swagelok metering valve.

Also, CO2 (the gas) would only be corrosive if there was moisture inside the metering valve, at which point, you would have other things to worry about before the CO2.

Finally, I believe there are many people that use other needle valves that do not have these Vitron seals, and they have lasted for more than 3 years.

· Registered
89 Posts
I just wanted to thank Darkblade48 for this writeup. While researching about CO2 systems and how they are applied to the aquarium hobby, my greatest obstacle was understanding what was I supposed to look for. This writeup has been of great help to me.

Thanks Darkblade48.

· Registered
333 Posts
Awesome, Darkblade!

A fine resource for beginning pressurized, and a good review for those already doing it! I think you should reference your write-ups in your signature. Each that i've read (at least two) have been great.

· Administrator
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Awesome, Darkblade!

A fine resource for beginning pressurized, and a good review for those already doing it! I think you should reference your write-ups in your signature. Each that i've read (at least two) have been great.
Thanks! And a good idea to link to the thread in my signature!

· Registered
1,447 Posts
This should be a sticky, really. There is no reason why it shouldn't be. It would have saved me a big headache if it was one.

Exactly what I was looking for! Complicated little things and pieces spelled out in an easy to understand format. Thanks Darkblade48! This really answered alot of questions!

41 - 60 of 414 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.