The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up a 45g bowfront brackish tank a few months ago for my fig8 puffers, and wanted to plant it of course. It has strong enough lighting to need ferts and co2. I decided on Excel at the time for a few reasons. But I am not sure if the Excel is cutting it, and it pretty much killed of the Jungle Val which was going to be all across the back of the tank. As far as I am aware no one has done pressurized on a brackish tank. I now run a canister so its possible to do co2 without gas off (had sort of a trickle filter before).

One concern I have is that the substrate is aragonite. Is the co2 going to try and dissolve the substrate, and send the hardness sky high or something like that? I am really thinking about doing it, but I dont want to do it if it will cause any problems. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since Co2 lowers PH, and Aragonite will disolve in a low PH, then yeah it could release calcium into the water column and harden the tank water.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think it will mainly be just calcium released into the water? I am doing some more research but I believe fig8's will do ok in hard water, but I really dont know how hard this will make the water. Still just an idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts