The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I need advice. I've got a new, high light, 29g set up, and I've decided to go pressurized. Exciting, I know, but I'm quite a newbie. So I have a few questions:

• What regulator would you recommend? (cost is a factor)
• I think a tank from aquariumplants.com would be a good way to go, and I want to go relatively large and long lasting. So, how long, roughly, would a 20lb tank last?
• Should I just get a complete setup, considering price, convenience, etc? It looks to me like GLA has some nice stuff...
• OK, what else should I know and be aware of?

I've read and read, but there seems to be a lot to this. And, considering the expense, I want to do it right the first time. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK, I'm assembling my first pressurized CO2 system right now, so I've been scouring the intertubes (here and barrreport.com, and others) as much as possible. I don't have all the answers but I can tell you that, like all complex systems, the answer is usually:

It depends.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
• What regulator would you recommend? (cost is a factor)
A quality single stage regulator bought brand new will cost you approximately $40. If you wait on eBay and/or the Swap and Shop forums, you may be able to get a good price on a dual stage regulator.

Note that single and dual stage are not the same as single and/or dual gauge regulators. For more information regarding this, please take a look here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/e...-stage-regulator-pimp-club-33.html#post793120

and

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/e...-stage-regulator-pimp-club-20.html#post743710

• I think a tank from aquariumplants.com would be a good way to go, and I want to go relatively large and long lasting. So, how long, roughly, would a 20lb tank last?
This mainly depends on your injection rate into your 29g. You may find that you have a higher/lower bubble rate than other people, so you cannot really compare the time a tank would last.

However, with that being said, I would roughly estimate a 20lb CO2 tank to last at least 2 years on a 29g tank.

• Should I just get a complete setup, considering price, convenience, etc? It looks to me like GLA has some nice stuff...
This is up to you. If cost is an issue, I would look to piece together everything separately. If you bargain hunt and wait for the best deals, you can easily build a regulator with the same parts for a cheaper price. Alternatively, you may be able to build a regulator with better parts for the same price (i.e. a Swagelok or an Ideal metering valve instead of the standard Fabco NV55, etc). Alternatively, if you don't want to do any of the legwork and/or want everything all at once, then I would suggest you buy a pre-assembled regulator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.