The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the pressurized CO2 generators?
Looks like they run about $75-100 on amazon, can be replenished with Citric Acid and baking soda, and may actually last for awhile with refills costing around $3. The reviews on YouTube look decent as well. Looking forward to any thoughts or experiences.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought this. At first I really liked it, at 1 or 2 bps it lasted about 6 to 8 weeks....That was when I didn't realize green on the drop checker wasn't getting me the co2 I actually needed. To get my Co2 right I was actually yellow on the drop checker which was too many bps to count and only last's approx 2 weeks. I didn't like the diffuser that came with it (big bubbles), so I purchased a Neo diffuser for like $20.

All in all, It will do the job. I just don't want to be refilling stuff every two weeks. Personally I think one would be better off with a traditional pressurized Co2 cylinder and regulator. (IF that is an option for you)

Pros:
Valve works pretty well and is easy to dial in your BPS.
Solenoid works well with a timer
Refills are cheap and easy to get at any supermarket
Looks very nice (Opinion)
Cost

Cons:
Refilling (I'm lazy)
Diffuser not great

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Has anyone tried the pressurized CO2 generators?
Looks like they run about $75-100 on amazon, can be replenished with Citric Acid and baking soda, and may actually last for awhile with refills costing around $3. The reviews on YouTube look decent as well. Looking forward to any thoughts or experiences.
As mentioned the problem is keeping it topped off. If your co2 is not consistent you can end up with plants that go through periods of growth followed by periods of stunting, which is really hard to figure out balance when its always changing.

I have a diy co2 solution in shallow tank (link in my signature). It uses a bell diffuser instead of being pressurized. Works very well and for a long time, but you won't be anywhere near the co2 saturation of a pressurized system. It works fine for me but not everyone would be satisfied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts