The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be a waste to diffuse CO2 from a pressurized system via the hagen bubble ladder?

I've had good experiences using the ladder with a DIY setup, I noticed the bubble rate isn't all that fast with DIY and if I connected it to my pressurized system it it seems like it would last a while too with the relatively low bubble rate.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
It depends on the size of the aquarium. The bubble rate on the ladder reaches a limit where it can't hold any more bubbles from a pressurized system. I used to know this limit but I've forgotten it now.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
would depend on how much CO2 and how big of a tank. And of course do you reallly want that big eyesore equip in your tank taking away from the beauty of the aquascape that you intend to create.
IMO there are other options that would be more asthetically pleasing and functional as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's a 10 gallon and so far it's worked extremely well.

Also, it doesn't seem to bother that much since I have it mounted sideways and the stem plants kind of cover it up.

It just seems that its more effective than glass diffuser as the bubbles from a glass diffuser seem to get lost immediately as they float up and disappear at the surface.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Depending on the glass diffuser. I have my nano glass diffuser at a moderate bubble rate and many of the bubbles can barely be seen as they approach the surface. Of course, my tank is also a little deeper than a 10 gallon tank, so that obviously makes a difference.

To maximize CO2 diffusion, you can go with an in-line reactor or an external reactor. Use a drop checker to monitor your dissolved CO2 levels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts