The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of pressurized CO2 and need some advice.

Yesterday I set up a paintball CO2 system with the following configuration:

24 oz. jar (Amazon)
Paintball regulator with solenoid (GLA)
Bubble counter (GLA)
Tubing (GLA)
Drop-checker (GLA/Cal Aqua)
Diffuser (Some Chinese glass one from my LFS)

Following the directions and the advice from GLA (very fast responders), I set the working pressure to 10 PSI and a bubble count of one bubble every 1-2 seconds as a start. But I've run into a problem... :icon_eek:

The bubble count keeps going down fairly rapidly. For example, I set it to 1 bubble per second (Boy, are those needle valves sensitive), but then the bubble rate declines to one every few seconds over about a half hour. (The output pressure seems to stay steady at 8 after setting the bubble rate.)

Is this normal breaking in/adjusting, or is it indicative of a problem, such as a leak? If a leak, where might it be? The regulator or the input to the bubble counter? This doesn't feel like a leak to me, though.

(I should add that, after some initial confusion, I followed the instructions precisely)

Anyway, I've shut it off for the night. (It's on a timer, but I don't want it running while I'm away at work until I get this sorted out.) Any help or advice is appreciated.

:help:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of pressurized CO2 and need some advice.

Yesterday I set up a paintball CO2 system with the following configuration:

24 oz. jar (Amazon)
Paintball regulator with solenoid (GLA)
Bubble counter (GLA)
Tubing (GLA)
Drop-checker (GLA/Cal Aqua)
Diffuser (Some Chinese glass one from my LFS)

Following the directions and the advice from GLA (very fast responders), I set the working pressure to 10 PSI and a bubble count of one bubble every 1-2 seconds as a start. But I've run into a problem... :icon_eek:

The bubble count keeps going down fairly rapidly. For example, I set it to 1 bubble per second (Boy, are those needle valves sensitive), but then the bubble rate declines to one every few seconds over about a half hour. (The output pressure seems to stay steady at 8 after setting the bubble rate.)

Is this normal breaking in/adjusting, or is it indicative of a problem, such as a leak? If a leak, where might it be? The regulator or the input to the bubble counter? This doesn't feel like a leak to me, though.

(I should add that, after some initial confusion, I followed the instructions precisely)

Anyway, I've shut it off for the night. (It's on a timer, but I don't want it running while I'm away at work until I get this sorted out.) Any help or advice is appreciated.

:help:
Hello,
I have been using C02 for a while now. Just recently upgraded to a 5 lb tank/regulator with solenoid. I had a similar issue when I was setting it up and a couple people on here with a lot of experience with C02 told me to up my working pressure from 10 to 30 because my diffuser has a ceramic disc, and apparently they require a higher pressure. So perhaps try turning it up to 20 or so, and then tweak the needle valve? Also, did you do the soap test on all your fittings? If you have a leak they will bubble.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hello,
I have been using C02 for a while now. Just recently upgraded to a 5 lb tank/regulator with solenoid. I had a similar issue when I was setting it up and a couple people on here with a lot of experience with C02 told me to up my working pressure from 10 to 30 because my diffuser has a ceramic disc, and apparently they require a higher pressure. So perhaps try turning it up to 20 or so, and then tweak the needle valve? Also, did you do the soap test on all your fittings? If you have a leak they will bubble.

Bingo! +1^^^ Ceramic diffusers generally require 30ish +/- psi to run effectively. What size tank do you have and are you running a canister filter? I am asking because there are other options to dissolve Co2 into the water column.

Dan

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bingo! +1^^^ Ceramic diffusers generally require 30ish +/- psi to run effectively. What size tank do you have and are you running a canister filter? I am asking because there are other options to dissolve Co2 into the water column.

Dan
Yes, that was the issue I had. Currently running @ 30 psi and about 6 bps. My 24 hour degassed PH was a full point different, so it's all good . Also looking at an external reactor in the near future.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice folks: I'll try a higher pressure. But, to be clear, the declining bubble count I mentioned is not in the diffuser, but in the bubble counter, itself, before the gas ever gets to the diffuser. It's possible there's a leak, I guess, but bubble count starting high and going down seems not in character for a leak. Now I'm beginning to wonder if they filled the tank properly. :confused1:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Thanks for the advice folks: I'll try a higher pressure. But, to be clear, the declining bubble count I mentioned is not in the diffuser, but in the bubble counter, itself, before the gas ever gets to the diffuser. It's possible there's a leak, I guess, but bubble count starting high and going down seems not in character for a leak. Now I'm beginning to wonder if they filled the tank properly. :confused1:
The bubble counter indicates how much Co2 gas is passing through the bubble counter. When you initially start your Co2 the bubble count will be nice and smooth and as the pressure in the airline from the bubble counter to the diffuser starts to build up it creates back pressure and as that back pressure builds up (due to the pressure needed to push the gas through the diffuser) the bubble count will slow down as more pressure would be needed to keep the same rate of flow to overcome the resistance of the diffuser. Often times a bubble count may be higher to start with and then settle a bit lower in about 20-30 min later as the pressure builds up. This can be fixed by upping the working pressure of your regulator. However some regulators/solenoids are not designed for 30 psi (eg milwaukee MA957) so looking at other diffusion methods may be a better option depending on what you have.

Dan

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the advice, it was greatly appreciated. :fish:

I decided the problem had to be along the path from the regulator to the bubble counter, and so I reseated the tube at both ends and tightened the bell of the bubble-counter, itself. That seemed to work: I've had a steady 1 bubble per second for a couple of days, now.

Next step is to adjust things so the drop checker actually turns from blue to green.

BTW, how many of you use a small pump (such as a Koralia) to get better distribution of the CO2 bubbles throughout the tank?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the advice, it was greatly appreciated. :fish:

I decided the problem had to be along the path from the regulator to the bubble counter, and so I reseated the tube at both ends and tightened the bell of the bubble-counter, itself. That seemed to work: I've had a steady 1 bubble per second for a couple of days, now.

Next step is to adjust things so the drop checker actually turns from blue to green.

BTW, how many of you use a small pump (such as a Koralia) to get better distribution of the CO2 bubbles throughout the tank?
Drop checker should be green before lights come on . I use 3 small Sicci Voyager pumps in my tank. One is positioned above the diffuser & really helps distribute
The C02. 😊

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.