The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ii am new first time poster hi everyone. about my tanks i have a 29 planted tank looks very nice with 3 little goldies in it. i also have a 55 planted angel tank looks very good to i am very proud of my tanks since they are my first planted everything is working and growing well but i got a red sea co2 tester and found my co2 is low so i decided to get real co2 instead of my diy setups. i have already got me a 20lb tank but i have not purchased a regulator yet. here is wut i want to do i would like for my 2 tanks to run off the one bottle i will soon be adding a 3rd tank and would like all of them to run off this one bottle is this possiable? i really dont have any idea where to start i found a reg. on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230369850032&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
thats it but there were different sizes and didnt know which one would be right for my applacation.
so how would i make 3 lines commin off one tank or can i even do it they would all need to be at different setings because of the different sized tanks? the tanks are 29 40 and 55 40 isnt a planted tank yet but will be soon :) me and my girl have fallen in love with planted tanks!! ok well ty for the help guys

how about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hagen-ELITE-Ult...Fish?hash=item3ef7bc0e20&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
is it one in and 2 out? or 2 in and one out? is this how i would do it? 1 reg and 1 of these with maybe one of these with a one in and one out u know single and single?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i have been reading till my eyes hurt. lol i dont know how much sunk in but i am leaning. the regulator and manifold is more expensive than i thought so im goin to haft to do a 2 part buy. im goin to get all the small stuff (ie check valves, drop checker, & tubeing, ) and the tank now and next check the reg and manifold. i have a few questions
1st drop checker-- is this just a put it in ur tank get it rt and tank it out devise? or do u leave it in and it will show u wuts goin on? reason for question i have 3 tanks that will be hooked up to co2 do i need 3 or just 1.
2nd is my current defuser good enough? its a small water pump hooked up to a siphon with a hole in the side and the line commin in from the diy co2. co2 comes in bubble goes up and down till its gone(im sure yall know wut im talkin about) i have very very little escaping now.
3rd my tanks have alot of surface movement for air absorption now how will this effect my co2 set up? what should i change if anything?
ok i think thats it...................................for now lol ty again

·
Registered
265 Posts
[
quote=jkcole;897663]
Questions 1st drop checker-- is this just a put it in ur tank get it rt and tank it out devise? or do u leave it in and it will show u wuts goin on? reason for question i have 3 tanks that will be hooked up to co2 do i need 3 or just 1.

You will need three drop checkers in order to check the pH level in EACH tank. Personally, I do not use drop checkers. They only give an approximate indication of CO2 concentration. I use a pH contrtoller to indicate ph/CO2 levels.

2nd is my current defuser good enough? its a small water pump hooked up to a siphon with a hole in the side and the line commin in from the diy co2. co2 comes in bubble goes up and down till its gone(im sure yall know wut im talkin about) i have very very little escaping now.
It may be OK, OR it may not. CO2 diffusion with pressurized is a lot different than with DIY. Until a few days ago, I was diffusing through my Rena XP2 canister filter. It did fine, but I decided to try diffusing through a power head. I know this didn’t answer your question. I hope someone more learned than I chimes in.

3rd my tanks have alot of surface movement for air absorption now how will this effect my co2 set up? what should i change if anything?
ok i think thats it...................................for now lol ty again[/quote]
With aa lot of surface turbulence, the CO2 will gas off and not do your plants much good. It sounds like you have a HOB filter.

Good luck
Charles

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To reduce flow, you can take your spray bar and angle it downward. This will reduce CO2 outgassing.

ok so is there a fine line there? isnt that where the aquarium get most of its oxygen? thts the reason i have it the way it is so the fish get their O2. now with me adding more of another gas in the tank and taking the surface movement away how bad is that goin to hurt them? i know it done everyday i am just wondering ty

·
Registered
265 Posts
ok so is there a fine line there? isnt that where the aquarium get most of its oxygen? thts the reason i have it the way it is so the fish get their O2. now with me adding more of another gas in the tank and taking the surface movement away how bad is that goin to hurt them? i know it done everyday i am just wondering ty
Naw, I actually point my spraybar at a 45 down and toward the back.
After hooking up the powerhead, I've pointed the flow toward the back of the tank. But I'm gonna go back to diffusing therou the canister. I drilled a hole just large enough to put an el shaped plastic tube INTO the intake side. Then I attached the CO2 line and it really works well. I've read where many folks do this.
I've got two drop checkers and both the 4 dKH and indicator solution if you'd like to buy them cheap.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't answer this thread to sell you anything, but I bought them and don't use them any more. The 4dKH is from GLA, the drop checkers are from overseas.
If you don't want them, it's not a big deal.
Charles

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Gas exchange occurs at the surface of the aquarium, and while angling the spray bar upwards agitates the surface more (and thus increases the rate of gas exchange), you do not necessarily need to break the surface of the water.

As long as you monitor your fish and/or the amount of CO2 you have with a drop checker, your fish will be fine. Adding CO2 does not "push" O2 from the water.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Naw, I actually point my spraybar at a 45 down and toward the back.
After hooking up the powerhead, I've pointed the flow toward the back of the tank. But I'm gonna go back to diffusing therou the canister. I drilled a hole just large enough to put an el shaped plastic tube INTO the intake side. Then I attached the CO2 line and it really works well. I've read where many folks do this.
I've got two drop checkers and both the 4 dKH and indicator solution if you'd like to buy them cheap.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't answer this thread to sell you anything, but I bought them and don't use them any more. The 4dKH is from GLA, the drop checkers are from overseas.
If you don't want them, it's not a big deal.
Charles
i really thank u for the offer but i have already paid for 3 on ebay sry but thanks again

Gas exchange occurs at the surface of the aquarium, and while angling the spray bar upwards agitates the surface more (and thus increases the rate of gas exchange), you do not necessarily need to break the surface of the water.

As long as you monitor your fish and/or the amount of CO2 you have with a drop checker, your fish will be fine. Adding CO2 does not "push" O2 from the water.
ok so there can be a nice medium here. i will just haft to find it when i get everything set up.

man it just feels like im diving in the deep end of the pool right now. soooo much stuff is goin on and sooooooo much information. i almost feel like i am back in high school taking advanced chemistery (i never took it) but i bet this is wut i would have felt like lol thanks every one for ur help

·
Registered
265 Posts
i really thank u for the offer but i have already paid for 3 on ebay sry but thanks again

ok so there can be a nice medium here. i will just haft to find it when i get everything set up.

man it just feels like im diving in the deep end of the pool right now. soooo much stuff is goin on and sooooooo much information. i almost feel like i am back in high school taking advanced chemistery (i never took it) but i bet this is wut i would have felt like lol thanks every one for ur help

You should not use water in the drop checkers. The readings will be more accurate if you use 4dKH water and indicating solution in them.
If you search this forum, you can probably find a recipe for making your own 4dKH solution. It’s sometimes called 4KH solution.
Charles

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys out of all i read that did sink in i actually already have a few recipes for making that stuff thanks again tho will go with the one provided tho since its been tested and proven

1 - 14 of 14 Posts