The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two pieces of wood I'd like to put in my new 29g tank (still in the planning stage).

Piece 1 is medium piece of manzanita driftwood I took out of an aquarium I dismantled over a year ago. I BLEACHed the wood to get rid of the algae (15 min soak in 10% solution followed by a few soakings/rinsings). It has not been in a tank since - Should I be wary about chlorine when I put in in the new tank?

Piece 2 is a found branch. I have removed the bark and plan to boil it before I put it in the tank. However, I am unclear regarding the purpose of different methods for prepping brush wood like this. People recommend soaking (for a month+), boiling, or baking in an oven. Are all these methods equally good? Are they exclusive, or should I soak AND bake, for example?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
"Should I be wary about chlorine when I put in in the new tank?"

Not at all! Chlorine is a gas and will blow away when exposed to air. We smell chlorine when we go around a pool because the chlorine added to the pool is blowing away. After that length of time, even the wettest wood will be totally dried.

Even if you took it directly out of a bleach soak into a tank, any dechlor product like Prime, etc. deals with the chlorine in drinking water so a bit stronger dose of Prime will deal with bleach, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts