The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently cutting down a whole maple tree. I have many branches, large and small, and thought I would put them in my fish tank. The tree had some carpenter ants on it and was doomed to die, so I cut it down.

How do I prep formerly green maple branches for use in a fish tank with fish or shrimp?
Do I take the bark off or let it fall off in the tank?
Do I let it dry a year or so before using it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
From what I understand preping it would involve aging it outside to help dry it out then boiling it for a long time to make it waterlogged/sterilized. I dont know if it is aquarium worthy but you could try it out in a tank wothout anything you were attached to in order to see how it does :icon_ques. I wish I had some links for you but I know there are some sites out there that better describe the process in detail.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You could dry kiln the branches, remove the bark and coat in an epoxy or polyurethane or something else that would be inert once cured then screw it to slate plates to give it enough weight to sink... Kind of like how you proccess cypress knobs for tanks.

You might be able to find a local lumber yard with a dry kiln that they would let you put your pieces in to dry... or you could always just sit them in your attic during the summer months and that should accomplish nearly the same thing. ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.