The Planted Tank Forum banner

Preparing tank from discus

1088 2
I am planning on keeping discus in my 100 gallon planted community. after getting rid of some tinfoil barbs the plants are back in the tank and I want to keep discus in there place.

The tank is lightly planted and stocked with 6 roseline barbs, 6 lemon tretras, maybe 12 sepre tretras, 2 sucker fish, and 2 dwarf gourami.

Tanks has no wood, but lots of rocks.

I don't have the time to do a lot of water changes so I am in the process of setting up a drip system for the aquarium. The system would drip water from my kitchen sink water valves.

I have never monitored the PH of my water in any aquariums I have had. I have heard discus raised by breeders are more tolerant of different PH's.

I'm pretty sure this system will keep the pristine, as required for the discus.

Is the anything I may need to change or consider about my setup?
I would like some feedback before I acquire these pricey fish.

Attachments

Reactions: LittleSquishy
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
It's good to hear that your tank is 100 gals & lightly planted to launch yourself into discus-keeping.

It sounds & looks like you're an experienced fish keeper and have done some research on keeping discus, which can be somewhat of a challenge if you don't know what you're doing.

I'm glad to be able to help you out in any way I can to ensure you're successful, but for the moment I'll simply say that one of the most critical factors in succeeding with discus is to get healthy & good quality stock from a well-known, experienced and reliable supplier of quality fish.

If you will let me know where you're located, I'd be happy to direct you to one or two reputable sources nearest to you.
At this time the only advice I have for you is to get reasonably good-sized discus to begin with - say 4" or larger since you won't be planning on doing large and very frequent water changes.

Be sure too, to do a proper quarantine of the discus you acquire, vis-à-vis the other species of fish you already have. You want to avoid any cross-contamination at all costs, so when the time comes, I'd be pleased to provide you with full details as to how to go about that.

Your other fish will make good discus tank-mates for the most part, but I suggest you'll need to keep a watchful eye on the behaviors of the roselines, the sucker fish, and the serpaes.

Roselines are very active fish and MAY tend to startle discus & stress them, while the serpaes can be nippers, and the sucker fish (depending on the species) MAY take a liking to discus' slime coats as part of their diet as they get older, larger & lazier.

These comments are simply cautions for you.

You may also want to research them all to ensure they can handle the higher discus temps as well.

Any pH between 6.0 and 8.0 + will be fine, so long as it's maintained relatively stable.

Tell us more about your drip system - how much fresh water will it turn over in a day as a percentage of the tank holding capacity ?

That's about it for the moment. Please call on me if I can help you out further at any time.

Best of luck to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.