The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm planning to get some Red Cherry Shrimp or Cherry Fire Shrimp pretty soon and I'm looking at what food I can give to them. I've heard about zucchini, cucumber, spinach and carrots (all blanched) but what else can you give them? It would be nice to have a bigger menu :icon_lol:

Also, and more importantly, when I boil the food to prepare it for the shrimp do I need to use dechlorinated water or standard tap water? I'm not sure if boiling it in tap water fills the food with chlorine? Conversely, I'm not sure that boiling water after I've treated it is ok either! :hihi: I have no clue so I thought I'd tap in to the experience of fellow plantedtankians!

Thanks!
Rad91

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
If you let water sit for about 24 hours, the chlorine off gasses. You can cook with that if you'd like. I've never bothered. Just used tap. No ill effects to date.

Personally, I like to make my own food using baby food...mix a bunch of veggie together, stir in some spirulina powder, and dehydrate. My shrimp go crazy for it. I also use Repashy Superfood Shrimp Souffle and the shrimp go bonkers for it as well. I make a batch and again, dehydrate it and keep it in the fridge. Drop a little cube in the tank and within 5 minutes it'll be covered with shrimp.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you let water sit for about 24 hours, the chlorine off gasses. You can cook with that if you'd like. I've never bothered. Just used tap. No ill effects to date.
I use tap water to blanch too. A drop of Prime if you want to be safe.

I do want to point out that chloramine is used instead of chlorine these days and takes 15x longer to boil and age off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the menu ideas... I'll definitely try these out :D

Down_Shift, I'm going to let them eat whatever's in the tank but it's crystal clear and barely any visible algae so Im collecting ideas as a backup. Thanks for replying :)

Cheers,
Rad91

·
Registered
233 Posts
Perhaps the question should be, what can't you feed them?

Sadly, mine don't seem too thrilled with the veggies I've tried so far. Sweet potatoes are a winner, but everything else is quickly abandoned after the novelty wears off.
Does the amount of boiling make a difference? I only boil stuff lightly, otherwise it seems to disintegrate into the water faster, which seems not good to me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I placed a green leaf in, after microwaving it in a cup of water for a minute. They ate the food surprisingly fast. I was happily surprised too, as the food was meant for the snails :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feed my shrimp fluval shrimp and blanched spinach, this is alternated(fluval, spinach, fluval, spinach). That's about it, no problems at all.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I find that the longer veggies are blanched, the faster my shrimp go for them. I am assuming they like the smell of decomposing veggies and blanching them just aids with this. I cut veggies into cubes (mostly zucchini) then freeze. When I am ready to feed, I throw it in the micro for 40 seconds or so. I am taking a lot of the nutrients out, really, but for convenience sake, that's what I do. I also feed them veggie pellets and BioMax from Genchem for ornamental shrimp. My shrimp all do great.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love how different our methods are... even though we are doing the same thing, feeding shrimp, we seem to have very unique routines :icon_smil

Thanks for your replies, they're all being noted!
Rad91

1 - 12 of 12 Posts