The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off Hampden and Wadsworth.
I really, really loved this store. Their emphasis is (their namesake) more on reef keeping, and their plant selection is mid-grade, but their cleanliness, fish selection, equipment selection and friendliness really won me over. They seem to have a penchant for oddball Tanganyikans and discus.

The only thing that I was a little put off by was, when calling them before coming in, they said they did have true SAE. All I saw were Flying foxes, but that doesn't mean I didn't skip over them somehow.

I also loved their driftwood selection.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have talked a lot with most of the guys that work there. As you said for the most part the employees are SW guys.

Jake is a marine biologist and is a good guy but his focus seems to be on corals and such. I was suppose to be helping them out with but I am a bit stand offish from working there, for certain reasons.

They get some decent odd balls that other shops don't get around here. As for plants I have never been inclined to buy any from there, the left tank is most filled with plants I brought to them last I knew.

General overall is good and they will be ( were still on order last I knew ) or are carrying ADA products now/soon. I was shown the order email so looks like we will finally have a place to get some decent plant supplies even though the employees don't know how to take care of a planted tank it's an improvement over and other LFS as far as plants go.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Last time I was in, they had several plant varieties that I hadn't see anywhere else, but you are right, the owners arn't as familiar with planted tanks as the SW.

Of course, we bought all the plants we hadn't seen before, so I don't know what the selection is like now. :) :) :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in there yesterday and they had just set up their ADA style planted display. Everything is ADA product.... lookin good so far!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Just went today... looks like they are getting ready to carry a full line of plant products... not quite fully set up yet, but it sure is exciting to have a place to get some local equipment.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely agree.

I just really love how CLEAN they are. I'm 50/50 on their staff, though.

The one man who helped with my UV was seriously deserving an award for his A+ customer service. He made sure everything fit the right connectors, gave me some tubing from their own stash, helped me carry everything out. Nicest most helpful person. I should have tipped him.

But there's another guy... much younger ,dark hair...I think he called me 'babe.' And not in the endearing way, the hubba-hubba way. I've heard some other bad reviews about him as well from others. Who cares, though, I can wait for my super-helper UV buddy.

This weekend I picked up a trio of their Denison/Roselines and a Farlowella acus, and I believe one of the owners helped me this time. Older gentlemen, very very kind, really seemed interested in talking about the specs of their new planted tank, very willing to chat it up with me about their equipment they're using, etc.

So far, I'm very happy. Minus the smooth-talker. LOL :hihi:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I believe so, my hubby was talking with Dave, the general manager, and from what I gathered, they will be carrying it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just got that way this weekend and they do have the aqua soil and powersand in stock

the 9L bags are $39.99 and the 3 liter are $19.99 I kind of thought this was steep but It would cost me $52.00 to get one 3L and one 9L shipped to me.

so they aren't TOO bad but still a little steep. By the time I drive 80 miles and pay tax I will have way more than $52.00 in it. But for those of you that are close this might be the way to go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah the prices aren't going to be cheap since I know what they are paying for it and where they are getting it from and for them to carry it is a risk for them and the price they are paying isn't the great hence the high prices. Its cheaper to buy online unless you want it now or don't want to mess with shipping, your paying to have it locally available, which is great for them to step up and have it for new people or people that don't have the resources or sense to research better deals. At least a local shop is trying!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yea, I know I am old fashioned, but I really like to see the product with my own eyes before I buy it. Of course, I do get a lot of stuff on line, but if I can find it locally, I am much more likely to pay the little bit more to get it at a store I trust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts