The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a prego guppy in my tank who all fine and dandy then out of no where today she's swimming all crazy and stay at the top or on the floor..got caught a couple times by the filter...not sure if she's having complications or what...any one have any ideas??? Is she dying?? This the way they act when about to give birth??

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Sadly, they often die during birth... have you been doing regular water changes? Just to help make sure it is not some nitrogen based poisoning. If that is a possibility, you could quarantine her with a little methylene blue.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly, they often die during birth... have you been doing regular water changes? Just to help make sure it is not some nitrogen based poisoning. If that is a possibility, you could quarantine her with a little methylene blue.
Yes every week a 50% never miss a beat...Sadly she did die trying to give birth..

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
By "swimming all crazy" do you mean random darting or like she can't keep her balance/buoyancy while swimming?

If she is losing her balance, it sounds like a swim bladder issue. Maybe the mass of the pregnancy is putting excess pressure on her swim bladder. It's not an immediate threat/danger, unless she goes for too long without eating and/or she gets really stressed from it. She should release the fry soon and should return back to normal after that if the pregnancy is what was causing it. Though often swim bladder issues has a fish either having a hard time swimming to the top (sinker) or a hard time swimming to the bottom (floater).

I can't say that I've noticed pregnant guppies acting in the way that you described. They might stay away from the other guppies more than usual if they are close to giving birth.

When you say "caught a couple times by the filter" do you mean she was stuck/sucked onto the filter inlet or she was just hanging around the filter area?
If she was sucked onto the inlet, she sounds really weak and something must be wrong/she is likely dying. Swimming around not being able to keep balance can also be a fish that is just too weak and is dying.

If she is dying, it's tough to say what is the cause/reason without more info. Any other fish showing symptoms? The pregnancy may or may not be related to the issue (though the pregnant fish may be more vulnerable due to the added load on her body from the pregnancy).

Test your water parameters.
Check for any symptoms of disease (physical or other behavioral signs).

EDIT: Just read that she passed. Sorry hear.
Still worth trying to figure out why she died. Maybe she died from pregnancy, maybe she didn't.
Hey, maybe you could try cutting open the dead guppy and seeing if the fry swim free? Hopefully they are developed enough and the female died from stress overload of the pregnancy?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I have never been able to extract living fry from guppies.
I have been able to do it with klipfish, a type of live bearing fish (well actually it is about 40 species) commonly found around our coasts and in rock (klip) pools.

A healthy fish gives birth almost without noticing normally. I haven't kept guppies for at least 10 years now, but I have seen more than my share of maternal deaths during or just before birth.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By "swimming all crazy" do you mean random darting or like she can't keep her balance/buoyancy while swimming?

If she is losing her balance, it sounds like a swim bladder issue. Maybe the mass of the pregnancy is putting excess pressure on her swim bladder. It's not an immediate threat/danger, unless she goes for too long without eating and/or she gets really stressed from it. She should release the fry soon and should return back to normal after that if the pregnancy is what was causing it. Though often swim bladder issues has a fish either having a hard time swimming to the top (sinker) or a hard time swimming to the bottom (floater).

I can't say that I've noticed pregnant guppies acting in the way that you described. They might stay away from the other guppies more than usual if they are close to giving birth.

When you say "caught a couple times by the filter" do you mean she was stuck/sucked onto the filter inlet or she was just hanging around the filter area?
If she was sucked onto the inlet, she sounds really weak and something must be wrong/she is likely dying. Swimming around not being able to keep balance can also be a fish that is just too weak and is dying.

If she is dying, it's tough to say what is the cause/reason without more info. Any other fish showing symptoms? The pregnancy may or may not be related to the issue (though the pregnant fish may be more vulnerable due to the added load on her body from the pregnancy).

Test your water parameters.
Check for any symptoms of disease (physical or other behavioral signs).

EDIT: Just read that she passed. Sorry hear.
Still worth trying to figure out why she died. Maybe she died from pregnancy, maybe she didn't.
Hey, maybe you could try cutting open the dead guppy and seeing if the fry swim free? Hopefully they are developed enough and the female died from stress overload of the pregnancy?

Awesome thank you for all the info!!! I really appreciate it..she would dart here and there but she would also just just sink to the bottom or float to the top like nothing..she was just swimming my the filter inlet and poof sucked right on in...ya I don't think it was swim bladder I believe it had to do with the pregnancy for sure...she was fine days before no signs of any thing eating fine all that!!! I kept a close eye and I notice when she passed and when that happen I opened up to see if any little ones would go but no such luck..oh well it happens it happens poor little thing..I still have one more guppy pregnant so will see how it goes..this one is smaller in size but at least the same size in belly width which makes me think they got pregnant at the same time..also checked water every thing looks fine and good..still might do a water change just in case since those never hurt...but again thank you for taking the time

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I wouldn't say 'never hurts' it is probably the most common last thing that went wrong before people post my fishes are dying on here.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't say 'never hurts' it is probably the most common last thing that went wrong before people post my fishes are dying on here.

Well I haven't had a fish death since I was running a 10g tank which was some time back and that was when I barely knew any thing about taking care of them..lol that was before I found this site and my growth of understanding this all soared...but I do my weekly water changes of 50% and I'm always in front of my aquarium.. But I heard some one on here say it before when in doubt let some water out..lol sounds kind of dumb but its true...I mean actually to think about it I am fighting a bad case of diatoms and I have no clue why the tank has been up for some time now..its like it keeps coming back....in both of my filters even though I clean the crap out of them...could me adding the new water be the reason it keeps coming back?!?!?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yep, water changes are good. There is ALWAYS diatoms in our system, there is just not enough of them to be visible in a healthy system. How good is the flow in your tank? All the leaves moving a bit in the current etc?

The municipal reservoir dam we get our water from is right behind the houses across the street, so I can keep an eye on things like algae blooms or sudden inflows. We are luckily right on the edge of town, sandwitched against the mountain, so pollution is minimal, tap water delicious.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Water changes are usually good. There are exceptions such as if the water source itself is tainted or the act of water changing is too stressful (particularly when fish are already in a distressed state for one reason or another).

Diatoms are most often from high levels of silicates. It may be possible your tap water has more than normal silicates. Are you using silica sand? If so, that is a big source of silicates right. Otocinclus catfish and shrimp will take care of diatoms/brown algae.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yep, water changes are good. There is ALWAYS diatoms in our system, there is just not enough of them to be visible in a healthy system. How good is the flow in your tank? All the leaves moving a bit in the current etc?

The municipal reservoir dam we get our water from is right behind the houses across the street, so I can keep an eye on things like algae blooms or sudden inflows. We are luckily right on the edge of town, sandwitched against the mountain, so pollution is minimal, tap water delicious.
I live in a city so it's city water lol... I got an AC70 and a penguin 200 with a wave maker so yup definitely plenty of flow!! The diatoms is just still every where..no matter how much I clean it..it always pops back in about a week 1/2 or more

Water changes are usually good. There are exceptions such as if the water source itself is tainted or the act of water changing is too stressful (particularly when fish are already in a distressed state for one reason or another).

Diatoms are most often from high levels of silicates. It may be possible your tap water has more than normal silicates. Are you using silica sand? If so, that is a big source of silicates right. Otocinclus catfish and shrimp will take care of diatoms/brown algae.

That's what it must be then my water have a lot of it..I have Eco complete with some Petco gravel mixed in... Funny thing is I have both shrimp snails and oto cats..still doesn't seems like they do or can handle it

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Google your city's water quality report and it should show the amount of silicates.
How long has the tank been up and running exactly?

Able to get a pic of the algae/diatoms?
Pond snails will make small work of it... then explode in numbers.
Funny thing is my city hasn't updated there water quality report since 2014... ?_?... The tank has been up about 8 or so months now..ill get a photo later...haha true snails will but last time I had snails in my tank they were uprooting everything and got big..I got nitrate snails and otos and shrimp but they don't do any thing lol..I just got a rubberlip pleco to see if he will help out but I just got him 2 days ago

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.