The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pregnant yellow shrimp keep dying.
I have had yellow shrimp for about 10 months now and have had little success breeding them. I bought 20 originally and I had a few females produce a small number of offspring. Shortly after the the eggs hatching the females would die. I got a hold of 20 more yellows thinking that they had bad genetics or something. This time the females died while berried. I have checked all the parameters and they seemed fine. PH~7, NO3~0, NO2<15, 75 degrees, 10-15% water changes regularly, TDS from tap is ~190. No real changes in water parameters. I have Japanese Moss Balls (Cladophora aegagropila), and christmas moss in the tank with a sponge filter that is running correctly. Has any one experienced anything like this? I have multiple shrimp tanks and this is the only one that I am having problems with.

I now have a tank with about 40 males and no females. They are very yellow but I would like to have a healthy colony that will breed regularly.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
That's strange that only the females are affected. You said in your post that NO2 is <15. Do you know the actual value? Nitrites should be at zero and they are far more of a problem than detectable nitrates.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feed them a bunch of different foods. Formula two flake, HBH crab and lobster bites, sinking algae wafers, and bloodworms. Nothing with a bunch of copper except HBH crab and lobster bites but a lot of people use it and I use it with my other shrimp with out any problems.

I will check the exact NO2 when I get home tonight.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If that checks out OK, there is a possibility you've got some sort of disease that affects just breeding females. I've never heard of such a thing with shrimp, but there are definitely these types of bacteria and viruses that can affect mammals.

If these don't make it again and you want to keep trying, I'd probably try setting up a different tank for a new batch from a different source.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Over feeding and the resulting nitrites are the "usual" suspect. But that should affect both sexes equally.
If there is algae in the tank, cut back on feeding. Or switch to feeding in a petri dish or glass ashtray so you can remove the food after a few hours.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I only feed them enough were they finish their food in less than 1/2 hour so I am not overfeeding and there is never food sitting arround. I have several shrimp tanks and this is not a problem for any of the other shrimp. I will be checking the nitrates (NO3) in a few minutes and report back.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's strange that only the females are affected. You said in your post that NO2 is <15. Do you know the actual value? Nitrites should be at zero and they are far more of a problem than detectable nitrates.
I got them backwards, I meant that my nitrates are <15 and my nitrites are 0. I just checked the nitrates and they are around 5.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Nitrates at 5 shouldn't be an issue at all. I dose my tank that have tigers and blue pearls and they are all reproducing and I never notice anyone dying. Just curious... are you injecting CO2?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No CO2 in this tank, no dosing, no nothing... I am going to buy some more from another source and use a different set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.