The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to take these pictures today. The eggs are orange and there are a few black dots which are little crays that already hatched.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
So the mother hangs onto the babies for a while then? I remember three days or so before the mother hatched her eggs the eggs looked like they were broken or something. The black eggs were all flesh like and had little eyes one them. I thought either they are near hatching or the eggs were attacked. Luckily it was that it was near hatching. OR are they already hatched and the babies hang onto the mother for a while?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the mother hangs onto the babies for a while then? I remember three days or so before the mother hatched her eggs the eggs looked like they were broken or something. The black eggs were all flesh like and had little eyes one them. I thought either they are near hatching or the eggs were attacked. Luckily it was that it was near hatching. OR are they already hatched and the babies hang onto the mother for a while?
Already out of the egg. They hand to the mother for a few days/week

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes the babies hang on the mom for a while. If they get to close to the front end of the mom she will sometimes cannibalize them. Some people say to take the babies off so they won't get eaten but the babies usually know not to go to the front of the mom :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the babies hang on the mom for a while. If they get to close to the front end of the mom she will sometimes cannibalize them. Some people say to take the babies off so they won't get eaten but the babies usually know not to go to the front of the mom :)
They need to hang to the mom to fully develop for a few days/week.
I was not aware of any cannibalizing. First time i hear this

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think he is talking about normal crayz not dwarfs.

Congrats, and great picture!

-Andrew
Actually no I am talking about dwarf and normal crays. Dwarf crays will eat their young if given the chance. That's why they say to give the babies hiding places from the adults and each other. They also say if you want allot of the babies to survive to move the berried females to another tank so when the babies come the adults won't be in the same tank as the babies. Once the babies hatch return the mom back to the main tank.The babies are very fast and hard for the adults to catch but if the babies move to the front of the mom while hanging on she will seize the chance and eat it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Actually no I am talking about dwarf and normal crays. Dwarf crays will eat their young if given the chance. That's why they say to give the babies hiding places from the adults and each other. They also say if you want allot of the babies to survive to move the berried females to another tank so when the babies come the adults won't be in the same tank as the babies. Once the babies hatch return the mom back to the main tank.The babies are very fast and hard for the adults to catch but if the babies move to the front of the mom while hanging on she will seize the chance and eat it.
Are you talking from personal experience? Did this happen to you with crays? (any species)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never seen this. I usually count the babies when hatched and so far I have not noticed any of them missing. Can you point to the place were it says this?

Thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
Are you talking from personal experience? Did this happen to you with crays? (any species)
Yes i have seen my electric blue crays, & cajun crays eat their young. I also did read it but on which web site I can not tell you off hand. I have read many web sites that talk about crays and shrimp so I don't know exactly which one it was.
I had about 10 dwarf crays in a 10 gallon and all of them were berried. I was watching them one night seeing how many of the crays were not berried and I saw an adult catch a baby that was feeding on some food I had put in the tank. The adult grabbed it and put the baby in the mouth. It was then I seperated the crays to larger tanks and added gobs of moss so the babies woud have ground cover. As soon as I see females that are not berried any longer they are put back in with the males and unberried females.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Something with your water that makes your crays very very peaceful...

All three of my dwarf crays now have both their claws missing! They also ate a cherry that I added into the tank out of 5 or so more that I put in there. I feed them 3 pellets of Hikari Crab Cuisine daily and the occasional piece of Hikari Algae Wafer.

What's making mine so mean?! I still see babies though so I think I have enough hiding places.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something with your water that makes your crays very very peaceful...

All three of my dwarf crays now have both their claws missing! They also ate a cherry that I added into the tank out of 5 or so more that I put in there. I feed them 3 pellets of Hikari Crab Cuisine daily and the occasional piece of Hikari Algae Wafer.

What's making mine so mean?! I still see babies though so I think I have enough hiding places.
I feed mine lots of food each day. also during mating they can loose claws, this is normal.

I keep them with cherries and hav enever seen any of them go after a cherry. They do eat side by side with the cherries most of the time.

Maybe the tap water in McKinney, TX has some relaxing powers. :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
780 Posts
Maybe the tap water in McKinney, TX has some relaxing powers.
Temperature may be a factor. The heater in my 30 gallon invert tank died, so the water temp is/has been around 70 for an unknown period of time. It doesn't seem to bother the critters though. I spotted 3 berried orange/brown females, and at least a half-dozen shrimp with full loads of eggs as well.
I got some juvie cajuns several weeks ago and placed them in the 38 in the basement. The temp in that tank is around 78, and I've lost at least several. I won't know how many for certain w/out stripping the tank, but I did see one corpse, and haven't seen many lately.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Temperature may be a factor. The heater in my 30 gallon invert tank died, so the water temp is/has been around 70 for an unknown period of time. It doesn't seem to bother the critters though. I spotted 3 berried orange/brown females, and at least a half-dozen shrimp with full loads of eggs as well.
I got some juvie cajuns several weeks ago and placed them in the 38 in the basement. The temp in that tank is around 78, and I've lost at least several. I won't know how many for certain w/out stripping the tank, but I did see one corpse, and haven't seen many lately.
In my experience anything above 75 with these dwarf crays is not good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts