The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if it is pregnant or fat. I noticed it being big about 2 weeks ago. So please tell me what you think? :smile:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
it's a tetra, meaning egg scatterer, and they don't get real fat when pregnat. it may have bloat, a disease.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'd go with Dufus on this one.;) What are your water parameters? There is still time before dropsy develops further causing bulging eyeballs and pinecone scales. The other possibility is constipation. Try green peas and see if there are improvements. Monitor your fish closely. Your picture makes it difficult to determine if it is really dropsy or constipation.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I've lost 3 neons to bloat. my grandma feeds them too much.
That can lead to bloat in smaller fish, and aparently tetras are particularly suseptible.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i don't think anything is wrong with that fish. that is just a really large (full grown) hi fin black skirt tetra. actually, they look JUST like the ones that i got in from my supplier this past week. ask your lfs where they get theirs from. ;)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
But everyone here is saying it is a tetra, and tetra's do not get fat when pregnant... I think its disease too. Come to think of it, my male white cloud has similar bloat. And its been a while too lol. It comes and goes. I feed it sparingly too.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Weasel: Lol..You said not to have your post quoted.;) Neons are prone to NTD which is why they should be quarantined first before introducing them to the main tank to protect the current livestocks.:) In a way, other fish do get NTD but not until the neons have them. NTD can be transmitted by cannibalism on afflicted fish. Only the cardinals are found to be immune to NTD which is why you'll notice some people prefer cardinals more than the neons.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
sandiegoryu said:
But everyone here is saying it is a tetra, and tetra's do not get fat when pregnant... I think its disease too. Come to think of it, my male white cloud has similar bloat. And its been a while too lol. It comes and goes. I feed it sparingly too.
But Tetras do carry eggs. Which is why they get large. The more larger the female the more eggs she is carrying. Males dont carry eggs and they dont get very large.

On this site f you go towards the bottom you will see a female tetra(left side). It should be the last pic on the left. The bottom pic is also a female.Female Black Tetra

·
Registered
205 Posts
The fish looks normal to me just looks like its well fed and most likely roed up with some eggs. If its not acting or swimming different I wouldn't worry about it as with bloat you will usually have signs of different behavior.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think it's probbly just fat and happy. Tetras and most other charicans don't shhow much "pudge" with eggs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts