The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm sure both are just as effective as the other one, but my only concern is that the shape of the Ehfisubstrat will reduce flow. From what I can tell, the granules/grains will sit too close together, sorta 'interlocking' or 'joining' in a sense, reducing the channels in which water can flow through.
I personally use ceramic rings. I have no preference, it's just what I had on hand, and it does it's job.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Anyone notice the new "G-nodes" for the G3/G6 look exactly like the eheim substrat?

One thing I've started to notice is that it doesn't seem to really matter what you use for bio media...as long as it has a decent surface area, and you never clean it with tap water. Bacteria WILL grow on almost anything!

Case in point!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Anyone notice the new "G-nodes" for the G3/G6 look exactly like the eheim substrat?

One thing I've started to notice is that it doesn't seem to really matter what you use for bio media...as long as it has a decent surface area, and you never clean it with tap water. Bacteria WILL grow on almost anything!

Case in point!
are you saying thats what you use in your filter is those beads??

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Minimal need really for bio media in a planted tank, the fine floss does most of the work in your filter.
The lower baskets in my pro3e and proII are now left empty with the coarse sponge, fine floss and only one tray filled with Ehfimech (ceramic cylinders).
One of my tanks is a Walstad styled 55g with only a power head fed into a DIY spray bar. The power head is equipped with a sponge that's cleaned when ever reduced flow is noted (about every 3 months). This tank is reasonably stocked and seriously ridiculous as far as being so low maintenance.

Sorry to go long on the post but I wanted to explain my responce.
You need only maybe 25% of the media most filter companies claim you require.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have about 3 gallons of bio balls collecting dust so those would work fine for me, after I clean them of course??

·
Registered
286 Posts
Oh I'm not using those beads personally. I just found a link and a discussion of someone saying they worked just as well as most of the manufacturers stuff.

I am personally using...

The bio cylinders and bio stars from the default rena XP3 setup, with my few month old bio media from my aquaclears. (Just got the XP3, and am using the previously established bio media to prevent a cycle, as well as continuing to run the AQ 70 for a week or two).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.