The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was spending my usual 10 minutes today working out my frustrations by baiting and then squashing a few snails with my trusty chopstick for my bristlenose babies and shrimp to feast on and I was wondering. Is there a snail species available in the US to do this for me? I've read about one available in the UK. Does anybody have them here? What about a native species that will eat other snails? I've been looking around and all I can find are salt, brackish and land species. If it wasn't for the shrimp I'd throw a puffer in there and be done with it.

BTW, Does anybody else keep native snails?
I've got a couple of native species in my tanks. One looks a little like a giant trumpet snail and the other looks like a large, hard shelled pond snail but they both eat algae, not the other snails. I don't mind these guys as they don't produce quickly and are very nice to look at compared to the ramshorns and pond snails. Saw one of the big trumpet snails giving birth the other day. Very neat.

So if anybody else is interested in this let's get a discussion going.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Cool...can you post some pics of the natives? I would be really interested in finding out more information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts