The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I was just wondering what a good material to use for a pre-filter would be. I plan to add shrimp to my tank soon and i need pre-filters for my fluval c4 power H.O.B. and my fluval 306 external. Basically would i use some kind of sponge or what?
thanks

·
Registered
727 Posts
haha personally, i've been using these sponges that i found at the dollar store. they're meant to be facial pads or something to scrub your body with. i use it both as a prefilter and inside my HOB as well. its shaped like an oval so i cut it in the middle and slip the intake in the cut and then tie it with thread or rubber band it. (if you google facial scrub sponge its the first image, they come in a pack of two and last pretty long)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Exfoliating Facial Sponges

Is what they're known as. I was meaning to pick up a package of these a few weeks ago to see if they're made out of the same material as the.....
  • JW Fusion Acrylic Scrubbing Pad
The only thing that I don't like about those sponges is the only color option is "WHITE".

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/ati-filter-max-3.html

This is where I get to toot my horn for a company that I really like.

The url I pasted is for the #3 pre filter. It will come with several plastic parts to adapt to your filters. I use them on an Aquaclear 110 and the intake on my CO2 loop. For $6, hey-yoooo!!!

I also buy the sodium thiosulfate because I make my own dechlor, but I don't have chloramine in my city water. If I did I would definitely be buying the Chloram-X he sells. It's cheap and effective....

http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/cloram-x.html

http://www.reedmariculture.com/product_cloram_x.html

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
The ZooMed 501 internal sponge is what I use for my large filters (2217, 2215, 405's, etc.) - I use the Fluvals on all my smaller filters.

The ZooMed internal fits great over the larger tubes, is coarse, is longer than the fluval and is available everywhere for about $5.00

Unlike many re-purposed sponge filters, it has a bottom... its not just a cylinder with an open bottom.

I like em.

-Ken

·
Registered
95 Posts
haha personally, i've been using these sponges that i found at the dollar store. they're meant to be facial pads or something to scrub your body with. i use it both as a prefilter and inside my HOB as well. its shaped like an oval so i cut it in the middle and slip the intake in the cut and then tie it with thread or rubber band it. (if you google facial scrub sponge its the first image, they come in a pack of two and last pretty long)
Would a facial scrub sponge have any anti-bacterial chemicals?

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
maybe the sponge for the AC20 that comes with the Edge? they can be bought at most any local Petco for a couple bucks. but not sure if they would fit either of those fluvals. maybe bring the intake part with you to the store for a test fit?

·
Registered
234 Posts
http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/ati-filter-max-3.html

This is where I get to toot my horn for a company that I really like.

The url I pasted is for the #3 pre filter. It will come with several plastic parts to adapt to your filters. I use them on an Aquaclear 110 and the intake on my CO2 loop. For $6, hey-yoooo!!!
I second this.

I also use the ATI prefilter #3 I think on my Fluval 206 and a Fluval Edge prefilter sponge on my Fluval 106.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I use the sponges designed for aquaclear HOB filters. Cut a slit in it with a razor or knife and slide it on the intake. They make them in various sizes.

·
Registered
727 Posts
also a cheap alternative to buying stocking or hose is going to shoe stores and taking those weird sock things they have in boxes. they're like the same thing but you dont have to cut them up and they're free. haha it was my younger brothers idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts