The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
While I cant give advice, I have to say we are thinking on the same wavelength... :)

Not more than 5 minutes ago I bought two similar filters to the one you are considering ( in two different sizes) and was thinking "I hope at least one of these works".

I haven't used a mesh- type prefilter before, I usually use a sponge material, but thought this type may last longer.
So ill be curious what others who have used this pre-filter type have to say.

Here is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Aqualexs-Aqu...M287CZ0YRVM&psc=1&refRID=T7K73TWNWM287CZ0YRVM

And welcome to TPT!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have also only used sponges....I feel this steel mesh will eventually become too hard to clean and be garbage. Sponges are super easy to clean and for the price of these intake filters you can get 25 intake sponges that will out last by way longer than this steel mesh.

·
Registered
975 Posts
These look super cool! I wonder if they're fine enough mesh to keep new shrimp from being sucked up? In some tanks the prefilter sponge is a little unsightly...

It definitely looks fine enough to keep anything out! Cleaning would be slightly more annoying than a sponge pre-filter it seems because you can’t just squeeze this out. Looks like the spray feature on a sink would do the trick though. I may get one of these to see how I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It definitely looks fine enough to keep anything out! Cleaning would be slightly more annoying than a sponge pre-filter it seems because you can’t just squeeze this out. Looks like the spray feature on a sink would do the trick though. I may get one of these to see how I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I was thinking of using a toothbrush to clean! let me know how it goes for you if you end up ordering.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I have JungleShrimp's version on every power and canister filter I own. They aren't too bad to clean except when bits of java moss get on them, so far regular tank mulm and such rinse right off. I have an Aqua Clear 20 on a 5 gallon that's thick with shrimp and believe if fry could go through it my population would not be nearly so high. Can run take a picture of a dirty one if anyone wants to see. They do gunk up every few days in my own tanks.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I think you're wrong about the price... yall just order the expensive ones :/. Shipping might take a while but for 1/5-1/10th the price... I haven't actually put one into use yet but I got a couple to mess around with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CH945T8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969821913.html
Well, Ill just tell myself there is a difference in the quality of materials. :grin2:Easier to justify that way...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve got the sponge pre filter. I like it because it’s a good source of bacteria. The mesh version wouldn’t do that. I keep a spare sponge to clean my tank. I slip the spare on to vacuum and stir up gunk. I put the regular sponge in a bag while I clean. After the water settles down, I put the regular sponge that has the good filtering bacteria back in the tank. I usually take that opportunity to clean the old sponge. I’ve found that it’s easier to clean in the ziplock baggie.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just get some Sponge prefilters. They are so cheap and easy to use and clean.
Ebay has lots of em, often in multi-packs for just a few dollars including shipping.
I can't post the link.
I bought a pack of several coarse sponge prefilters and they work great.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I use coarse sponge pre-filters. I've never used the SS mesh, so I con't comment on them. I do think sponge gives the potential for added BB and they do clean easily. As s stop gap, I'd use nylon stocking material.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I was thinking of using them like LRBretz on youtube uses them which is as the end of his return lines from auto water change so that the water doesn't blast his substrate around... I will still be using sponges for my prefiltering :/

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Been using these Fluval Edge fine mesh pre-filters for years - inexpensive, last a long time, very efficient with frequent rinsing, safe for baby shrimp, and will fit many filter uptake tubes. ( All AC filters, except the smallest one - the 20).
Usually always available at any PetSmart store. Under $3. here in Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pre-Filter-Sponge-Pack-Fluval-Aquarium/dp/B004K9A15G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.