The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I understand that a heavy enough plant load can take on the ammonia load from live stock but wonder if there's a benefit to adding pre-cycled media, and also the timing of when to add it, relative to initial planting and initial live stock introdcution.

I happen to have established media in another tank's filter as I'm sure we all do.

My question is : If I'm going to use it, should I add it right in the beginning when I plant the tank, or should I add the pre-cycled material in a couple/few weeks when I add livestock? I am unsure if healthy plants are an ammonia source, or if there are any other bacterial colonies that are beneficial to a planted tank on established filter media. Will this help with initial algae problems?

Any other benefits to using filter media, or even just the "gunk", in initial set up?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
We cycle our tanks for the fauna, not the flora. You can plant your tank right away, regardless of whether it is cycled.

It's possible for ammonia to burn plants if concentrated enough, but this won't happen unless you add straight ammonia to the tank (At well above the amount people are using to fishless cycle).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.