The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently saw some Melanotaenia praecox and would like to set up a planted tank with this species. I am interested in knowing what would be considered a "minimum" tank size and stocking level for this species.

I usually always have some otto's, SAE's and RCS in my tanks for algae control. How would these tank mates fare with Melanotaenia praecox?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
780 Posts
I wouldn't recommend less than a 36" tank, bigger would be better. Plenty of java moss for the shrimp to take cover in, and they should be fine. My first batch of cherry shrimp also included some live plants. Apparently there were also praecox rainbows breeding in the sellers shrimp tank, because I found 2 fry a week later. They grew nicely, and ended up joining the school in the 55. They are best kept 3m/2f (or multiples thereof). The males will be busy showing off to each other, rather than chasing/stressing the females. They do fine in hard, alkaline water, I keep mine with African cichlids, and add baking soda to the tap water to raise/buffer the pH.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Praecox are very easy to breed. I had mine spawn every night for 3 months. Although I did expect none will survive considering they are in the community tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I am thinking about a 30 or 40 gallon breeder tank, both 36". My largest planted is a 50 gallon. I enjoy the 18 inch depth these size tanks have.

I need to make some DIY aquarium stands. The cost of the tanks are reasonable, but the cost of the stands is at least twice the cost of the tank. Then I will have to split a single C02 regulator with two tanks...getting fun now!! And then...

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts