The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got back into the hobby after years away. I had fish as a teen but I mostly kept plastic or low tech plants. Now I'm getting back into it but focusing mainly on plants, so I decided to just go all in with a high tech setup, and I found that the best fertilizer system for the money was NilocG's PPS Pro DIY kit. I received the kit in the mail today, and as I was mixing the ferts into the water I got a little bit on my hands, which I rinsed off multiple times. I haven't had any problems so far, but I'm still kind of concerned? I couldn't find any reports of toxicity from aquarium fertilizers other than rash/burning, which is an encouraging sign.

Also, should I use gloves when I dose? And should I use a bottle cap or a syringe?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Hello, I just got back into the hobby after years away. I had fish as a teen but I mostly kept plastic or low tech plants. Now I'm getting back into it but focusing mainly on plants, so I decided to just go all in with a high tech setup, and I found that the best fertilizer system for the money was NilocG's PPS Pro DIY kit. I received the kit in the mail today, and as I was mixing the ferts into the water I got a little bit on my hands, which I rinsed off multiple times. I haven't had any problems so far, but I'm still kind of concerned? I couldn't find any reports of toxicity from aquarium fertilizers other than rash/burning, which is an encouraging sign.

Also, should I use gloves when I dose? And should I use a bottle cap or a syringe?
Just don't swallow it or get it in your eye and you will be fine. The only chemical I'm paranoid about is excel or other glut based products.

For manual daily dosing I would either use a syringe (for ease of use) or better yet get yourself a pump bottle that will dispense a correct and consistent amount. Nicolg sells bottles that work pretty well but alternatives can be found on amazon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts