The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the PPS-Pro method. I wanted to know if I could dose at night after lights out before I go to bed. My lights are 12 on and 12 off starting at 9am and off at 9pm. I am usually not up at or before about 10 in the morning at the earliest. I got to bed pretty late too, about 2 or 3 in the morning. I wanted to know If I could dose at night before I go to bed. Any feedback is helpful.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They will take up the ferts 24/7, so it really is far from critical, do not worry about it, if it makes for a good habit for you to be consistent, then do it.
Thank you. It is a lot easier to dose at night at a regular time, than to wake up to do it. Do you think I should dose more if I do it at night, or just do what is recommended?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was dosing PPS-Pro, before I switched to EI for my dutch, I dosed after the lights went off since I'd just forget in the morning.
Groovy. I am gonna do that as I wake up way too late.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha same here... Or when you make some decent $$ off of your plants or job etc, you can buy dosing pumps which is for the super lazy people like me.. :D
Lol. I was thinking of that already. I may do that on the 20 high I am going to setup. I think that is going to be my High Tech one. The 10 gallon is really more of a learning curve.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine were pretty expensive but super precise. Not sure if there are cheaper ones.... Mine were like 70$ a pop
Ouch. I may be able to swing that at some point. Do you have a link to the ones you got by any chance?

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Thank you. It is a lot easier to dose at night at a regular time, than to wake up to do it. Do you think I should dose more if I do it at night, or just do what is recommended?
No, just do what is suggested. No need to add more to account for that.
Most modify this method and add more PO4 to the solution in general though.

Some modify EI.........in the end, we all tweak things to suit our habits and ideas.

If you add more, you get eI, if you add less EI, you get this.
All methods essentially add the same things.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Ouch. I may be able to swing that at some point. Do you have a link to the ones you got by any chance?
Bulkreef supply has nice ones:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...stems/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html

They have a video on how to use it etc.

The 1.1 ml per min is a good rate, then a simpler timer can be used.

I used these things in the past and on a client's tank.

They work well.

The timers........not so well, they would get reset by the client fiddling with them.....then I dump 2-4 weeks worth of ferts in one day, then come back the following week.

So this is how I know the upper ranges for some nutrients and their effects.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have found dosing dry fertz, no more tedious than feeding the fishes.
Would save my money for more plant's,fish, rather than auto doser.
That is a very good point.

No, just do what is suggested. No need to add more to account for that.
Most modify this method and add more PO4 to the solution in general though.

Some modify EI.........in the end, we all tweak things to suit our habits and ideas.

If you add more, you get eI, if you add less EI, you get this.
All methods essentially add the same things.
I am sure at some point, when I have more experience, I will do the same, but for now, I need a basic point to start.

Bulkreef supply has nice ones:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...stems/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html

They have a video on how to use it etc.

The 1.1 ml per min is a good rate, then a simpler timer can be used.

I used these things in the past and on a client's tank.

They work well.

The timers........not so well, they would get reset by the client fiddling with them.....then I dump 2-4 weeks worth of ferts in one day, then come back the following week.

So this is how I know the upper ranges for some nutrients and their effects.
That is a little too pricey for me. I can't really justify using it on a 10 or 20 gallon tank either. Maybe if I had a tank of 100gallons+, it would be worth it. But I think for the moment, my syringe method will have to do.

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate the help and insight.:icon_bigg

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
That is a very good point.

I am sure at some point, when I have more experience, I will do the same, but for now, I need a basic point to start.

That is a little too pricey for me. I can't really justify using it on a 10 or 20 gallon tank either. Maybe if I had a tank of 100gallons+, it would be worth it. But I think for the moment, my syringe method will have to do.

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate the help and insight.:icon_bigg
Then you will dose daily then. Simple as that.
I feed fish daily.........same with plants, it does not help me any unless I am not able to get to the tank or feed fish.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then you will dose daily then. Simple as that.
I feed fish daily.........same with plants, it does not help me any unless I am not able to get to the tank or feed fish.
This is very true. I don't mind the daily maintenance either, It is kind of relaxing, even if it is as tedious as using a syringe to feed the plants. Still worth it.:proud:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.