The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read conflicting information regarding how/what I should do to power my mouse solenoid. It is a 24VDC model and I have seen some people say that I need a 24VDC power adapter/supply while others have said that it only pulls short of 1v and any old DC power supply will work.

Do I need to buy a 24V DC power supply online, or can I use any old cable? I looked at Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walmart, Office Depot and the thrift store.. no 24v DC power supply anywhere.

I have a cable here that says : Input:100-240v AC --- Output 15vDC 360Ma . It is a small cell phone charger.
Would that work?

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
So I have read conflicting information regarding how/what I should do to power my mouse solenoid. It is a 24VDC model and I have seen some people say that I need a 24VDC power adapter/supply while others have said that it only pulls short of 1v and any old DC power supply will work.

Do I need to buy a 24V DC power supply online, or can I use any old cable? I looked at Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walmart, Office Depot and the thrift store.. no 24v DC power supply anywhere.

I have a cable here that says : Input:100-240v AC --- Output 15vDC 360Ma . It is a small cell phone charger.
Would that work?

According to this there are 3 versions 6, 12, 24VDC...which one do you have..
https://www.clippard.com/downloads/...6 Catalog/Catalog by Section/Mouse Valves.pdf

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have the 24v DC model. I wish I had known that 12v DC is much more commonly used in electronics. That, combined with the fact that the mouse manifold comes stock with a 10/32 connection on one side rather than 1/8, I am a bit upset that I went with this solenoid even though it is pushed as a good standard for our use.

I'm going to buy a 24v DC power supply online and I'm on the lookout for a different manifold or maybe an entirely different solenoid to change out later on. Can I send this one somewhere to be machined to 1/8 npt?

Thanks for your comments!

Thanks rdmustang1 I bought 3 of them.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I feel the Clippard is a good solenoid but it does take some study to get the right one that makes it easy to use. I avoid the ones who require a manifold as they are more trouble than I like. Also I find the 12volt to be a much easier power supply to find. Don't ask more advise about electronics from the one who told you to use a 1volt power supply!
For power, the power supply voltage has to be somewhat close to the rating on the solenoid. Better is to be exact but there can be some looseness due to the cheap supplies we often get. You should shoot for having a 24vDC power supply unless you have a good understanding of why you can get by otherwise. What might have been true was they said you could use most any power rating (amps, milliamps, etc.) as the Clippard does use nearly no power. (.67 amp??) So look for a power supply putting out 24VDC and at least 100milliamp. More is okay, just bigger and maybe more expensive. On that point, you are likely to not have any trouble meeting that rating on most power supplies that I see. 24Vdc may be a bit awkward to find though.

There is small chance that the power supply you have might work. I would not suggest buying one as the odds of it working might be too steep but since it is on hand, there is no reason not to test it. It will not burn out the solenoid or that sort of thing on small testing. If you can rig a way to plug/ unplug the power while listening closely to the Clippard, you may be able to hear it click. Better test would be to have it pushing gas and watch the bubbles but listening may get it done. It WILL be a very faint click, not like other solenoids that use lots of power so get a quiet spot. If you hear it click when powered up, go for it. If you have tubing ,etc. connected , you can also tell if it opens by blowing through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.